Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L V8
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
verdenslikkald is on a distinguished road
Default Issues after oil change

So I Have a 2008 dodge ram 1500, no hemi. I change the oil for the first time in 10 months. I had it parked for those 10 months. As far as I could remember from the last time I changed my oil, it was 5.5 quarts of 5-20 oil and I always use a PH2 FRAM filter.

The things I'm sure of..the filter is the correct one..for one, it fits, and it's the same kind that was on there before. and the oil is the right kind because it says what to use right on the cap.

the problem..I changed the oil, new filter, all that, and I used 5.5 quarts of oil. Except now, no matter when I check my oil using the dipstick it says that my oil is way over the limit..like half way up the dipstick. Doesn't matter if I check it when it's cold or warm. It seems to be running fine but this dipstick is weirding me out.

Also I'm wondering..I just take the old filter off and drain the oil out that way..that's the way I've always done it, even before this problem arose. And I've been changing my oil like that for a couple years. But i'm wondering, should I be using the oil drain plug? and where is that thing? I can't find it when i'm laying under the truck looking around.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Sponsored links