Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew/Sport w/HEMI
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
smartel is on a distinguished road
Default Mufflex Exhaust Woes

I finally installed my Mufflex 24" exhaust. It sounds great. Not loud in the cab at all! (Which is what I was going for to please the ol' Ball and chain!) But I do wish I'd gone with the 18" for a little louder sound.
Anyways, as this is supposed to be a direct replacement, I figured I could just unbolt the oem can, bolt the mufflex up, and that would be it. (my work place has a lift that I was able to use so it should be a piece of cake!)
WRONG!!!! All three bolts that come with the Mufflex broke in half when I was tightening them with a hand ratchet! Had to go to the hardware store and get some Grade-8 bolts to finish the job! The driver side pipe WILL NOT line up into the correct position in the bumper cut out, and the passenger side pipe leaks at the point where it attaches to muffler. I had to get a friend to weld it--no matter how tight I got the bolt, it would never seal up and was leaking condensate and you could hear the leak very clearly while standing behind the truck. As for the driver side pipe line up, I am going to have to let my local muffler shop do a slight bend near the rear-most factory hanger and then it'll line up correctly.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, where the factory duals attach to the factory muffler, there are tabs on the pipes and notches on the factory muffler to aid in lining up the exhaust. The mufflex doesn't have the notches, so you'll need to grind off the tabs to allow the pipes to seat all the way into the mufflex/magnaflow muffler. If you don't do this, your pipes will stick out from the bumper and not look right!
So I guess my final take on this Mufflex/Magnaflow muffler is positive. It has a nice tone and is barely louder than stock inside the cab. The installation wasn't hard, just aggrevating when the bolts broke and with the leak and line-up issues. But nothing is ever as easy as it seems so I guess it's just price you pay for customizing/modding your RAM!
As far as the pics are concerned, I took some before pics, but got aggrevated with the issues I had and forgot to take the after pics! Ooops!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (88.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (92.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (85.6 KB, 90 views)
09 Crew Cab Sport, HEMI, Line-X spray in liner, 4.10's with limited slip, Diablosport Predator, K&N Filter, Mufflex/Magnaflow 24" muffler--best 1/4 mile 14.200 @ 95.76 mph (with 4.10's and no tuner)---Modding is far from complete!
Sponsored links