Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '12 Ram Sport CC / '02 Durango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:154
emjohn4 has a spectacular aura aboutemjohn4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk13 View Post
Hey guys i was reading around a couple forums on the Ford Taurus electric fan swap to replace the clutch driven fan.. Well I have a few questions before i do this.

1) What year model Tauruses have this electric fan i can use?

2) What are the benefits of doing this mod?

3) Are there any cons of doing this?

4) Is there somewhere i can go online to tell me how to do the swap?

Thanks for your time, Dhawk
The early '90's with the 3.8 had the correct fan. Not sure of years, perhaps 91-93? Has to be the 3.8.

You'll gain a bit of power by removing the clutch fan, but IMHO, it's not worth it. The wiring can be tricky, even for experienced mechanics, and controlling the speed is another issue; both due to the amount of current the fan draws. I found that a two-speed Volvo relay worked well for the high/low speed operation, but you'll still need to figure out how to trigger it.

Ultimately, you'll free up a few HP; but you'll lose the reliability of the factory e-fan and clutch fan.

I did the swap on my '02 Durango and '02 Dakota. Gained 1 mpg on the Dakota, nothing on the Durango. Best part? No clutch fan roar. Worst part? No real benefit for all the work.

There are lots of how to's on the web, some from downright scary (such as using a solenoid as a relay), to excellent.