View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

My truck just went back in yesterday for Converter #3. It is a 2011 Big Horn Crew 4x4. Had the noise develop at around 18k miles, then had the factory converter replaced with a remanned one under warranty. It then had a shudder on the highway whenever throttle was first applied after coasting. Felt like driving over rumble strips. It went back yesterday after talking with my service manager last week he agreed to order a NEW converter this time.

This would have been a total nightmare, but my dealer has been terrific about listening to me and not being so quick to discount my opinions. The first time they diagnosed the shudder, they found it to be normal, but that was AFTER they kept it a week for diagnosis, put it on a dyno, and a MOTUS System, then did a drivability software update. After the update, the shudder was MUCH more pronounced and they were able to finally pinpoint the cause.

It would appear the Remanufactured converters (Part #R8051146AB) are bad news...but I will reserve judgement and update here when I get my truck back later this week.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...