View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i tend not to do this as the additive pkg are different. i don't know if they will work together or chemically alter the package. this is most likely old thinking on my part though.
With modern oils it probably doesn't matter but I still don't mix them if I can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsez View Post
Change yer oil same time no matter if its mineral or not....Only diff in syn and mineral is the additive package..Syn is better in most cases but its the additives that wear out and not the oil itself...Only way the oil gets bad(for the lack of a better term)is because the oil itself gets over come with impuritys..
Your opinion on oil change frequency is valid (although I don't agree) and you are correct, it's the additives in dino oil that break down first. Howerver, your technical info comparing synthetic and dino oil is completely wrong. The difference in between synthetic is NOT the additive package. Although basically designed for the same purpose, true synthetics and dino oil are very different products.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!