View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancrawford View Post
Hey I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T that is stock other than exhaust. I want to lower the rear 2-3 inchs, I can fab the shackels myself but I was wondering if any one has done it and has some advice. I dont know what thickness metal I should use and I havent really thought about how to design it Im in engineering in highschool and I have a internship at Cummins and have computer modalling programs i use to design so I can design it fast if any one knows the width of the leaf spring and the mount on the frame and possibly the length of the stock shackels with the exact hole locations and stock length. If not i will just have to take one off sometime when i have time. Thanks!
If you want to lower the rear it may be easier and cheaper to either have the springs re-arched. OR, overslung the axle (instead of the springs resting on top of the axle, the springs mounted under the axle tube). Anyways if you want to fabricate your own shackles, you could probably get away with 3/16" steel (make sure that after they are welded and fabricated they are heat treated to remove stress from bends and to strengthen the material). 3/16" depending on the design. If you want to be 100% safe and not have to worry about design a whole lot just use 1/4" steel and grade 8 bolts. But it is just easier and cheaper to just re-arch the springs or overslung the axle. Overslunging that axle will drop your height about 2-3 inches roughly.