Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Scvngr69 is on a distinguished road
Default Help needed with 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

Can anyone tell me what could be causing me to go through 3 front driver's side wheel bearings and 2 drivers side front axle shafts in 1 year? I had a mechanic install the first shaft and bearing, but it was used from a junk yard so when it started making noise about 4 months later, I decided to just buy a brand new wheel bearing. I installed the new bearing (this was around July of this year) and have had no problems or noise from it since.Yesterday, I backed out of my driveway, put it in drive and started forward. I made it about 30 feet when out of the blue, the wheel bearing gave out again. Now it's parked in front of my house with the wheel at about a 45 degree angle to the road. The truck was lifted when I bought it, but I only drive it in town or maybe a few miles out of town daily. When driving there is a sound that happens randomly as well. This happens at different speeds randomly and sometimes even right after a stop at a light or sign. Sometimes it is very light sounding and feeling, other times it feels as if someone plowed into me. Sometimes it feels like it originates from the front and other times the back. I am beginning to think it might be the universal joints on the drive shaft, but I'm not sure. Could that be causing me to go through axles and bearings that fast or am I looking at something else. I don't want to fix it again until I can find what is causing the problem to re-occur. I don't have much money and I'm not a mechanic, but I am smart enough to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bob
Sponsored links