View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Scvngr69 is on a distinguished road

Well RamTech, you called it. Apparently I didn't tighten the axle nut enough. When I finally got it up and took the wheel off today, the axle nut is completely missing. Expensive lesson learned. I tightened it to 175 ft/lbs torque but it must need to be tighter or the wrench I used needed calibrated. Thank you for the responses. I have another question. I have some damage to the yoke on that side. The half axle is fine but the yoke is pretty scarred up by the loosening of one of the spindle bolts as it was breaking away. I have another half axle and spindle that came from the other side of the axle we replaced last time (we bought a full axle at a salvage yard but only used the drivers side half). The problem is that it is about 1/2 inch longer (combined length of half axle, u-joint, and yoke) than the damaged one. Is this going to make a difference if I use it to replace the damaged one? And if so, would it work to simply swap the yokes, or would that cause balance problems or something?