Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Wow, that is ugly! While those two look like studs, the nut is formed as part of the bolt. They are different than the rest because that is where the heat shielding attaches. Interesting enough, yours seems to be missing just as mine were. I thought they were removed prior to me owning the vehicle but maybe it's an option and it never came with them?.?.?

I'd say you are right about the saltwater too. We have one dip in the road that leads to out favorite surf spot that is about a foot deep with salt water at high tide. We creep thru it but there's always that one guy who blows thru it and splashes salt water all over their vehicle. If the fan blows it around the engine bay, it would not get washed off like the rest of the vehicle would on a rainy day. Lots of tourists in rented or borrowed vehcles that have no concept of how corrosive salt is to a vehicle.

I like your idea about lifting the cab. It sounds like a lot of work but in reality it probably won't take much time at all. Similar idea to installing a body lift and we have done those in a slittle as 4 hours. I would give it a very thorough check out first and inspect all the hardware for similar corrosion. Maybe hit a junk yard and round up decent cab and bed bolts in case the others don't come out as easy. I'd count on a couple corroded electrical connections as well.

Good luck with your project, take lots of pics and start a thread. Feel free to ask any more questions.