View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

I followed the directions in the factory service manual for transmission removal (I've removed many transmissions before, but it was the first time on something this new). Since I had to replace the entire trans anyway, I decided to get a Circle D 2800.

Basically:
- Disconnect battery
- Set parking brake (unless you're going to be in the air)
- Remove driveshaft (or shafts if you are 4x4)
- Disconnect wiring from transmission and any wiring that is retained by the trans (my O2 sensor wiring is clipped to the top of it)
- Start unbolting, I started at the rear trans mount, then removed the crossmember
- Support trans with trans jack (these are INVALUABLE)
- Unbolt tie bar up front, this just bolted between the frame pieces, but it was in the way
- Unbolt girdle piece between engine and trans, this will allow you access to TC bolts
- Unbolt TC bolts
- Remove bellhousing bolts
- You will need a jack to support the engine itself since the trans mount usually does the rear supporting
- Here comes the fun part, you will need to wiggle the f*ck out of the trans to get it to come off the engine, you will end up doubting yourself and checking to see if you missed any bolts 12 times, just keep wiggling
- Once it's out, you can remove the TC, be careful it's heavy (full of fluid)
- Fill your new TC with fluid (you'll end up spilling some)
- Put new TC on to input shaft, you should feel 2 engagements, as the TC turns the input shaft AND the pump, make sure this goes all the way in like it's supposed to or you will regret it when you try to put it back in
- Reverse all steps, make sure you don't forget the stamped steel plate that goes between the engine and trans
- Once you're ready to start, set parking brake and shift engine to neutral, start engine and allow to warm up so you can check the fluid level (fluid check done while war, running and on level ground), top off fluid
- If you are able, reset transmission adaptives (not quick learn)
- Go for a drive

Now would also be a good time to put a nicer aftermarket pan on (with capacity and cooling fins) and maybe a bigger trans cooler if there is one for yours.

Some pics from my experience:

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people