View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road
Default Fob stuck in ignition

I learned something today about my ignition in the cab and wanted to share with everyone before someone else did what I did. Was going to run some errands in town so hit the remote start and got nothing. After getting no response with even unlocking the door and trying the other fob I broke out the emergency key and got into my truck. My suspicions of a dead battery were confirmed when I opened my door and found not even the dome light came on.

Put my fob in the ignition to see if I would even get the EVIC to come up and could not turn it all the way back to take my fob out. I could get to the ACC, ON, and START positions, but could not turn it all the way back to OFF. I was eventually able to force the fob out of the ignition, but not before breaking off a small piece of plastic from the ignition.

At this time, I am beyond ticked off; first a dead battery and now a broken ignition. At this point, I just wanted to get the truck started so I could try to get it somewhere. Pulled the wife's car up to jump the truck; as soon as I got it all hooked up, went to start the truck and found I could move the ignition to the OFF position now!

The ignition in these trucks won't let you take the fob out with out power! I am not sure the purpose of a design like this but I have to say it sucks! Luckily the ignition still works just fine, so whatever piece I broke off doesn't seem to be critical.

So to sum up a rant and the moral of the story; if you go out and find a dead truck battery and your key won't come out, just get power hooked up from a jump or portable battery pack and you should be able to get the fob out.
Sponsored links