View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
I didn't get a chance to check it out today, but my check engine light came on and I had P1740-TCC O/D SOL. The bad part about it is, they guy that read the code for me erased it. I would have liked for it to have still been there when I took the truck back into the transmission shop. With this code, should I still do the previously mentioned checks?
Just about every person that has a 46RE has had this code and it is so annoying because you can spend all the time replacing solenoids, checking wiring harnesses, doing just about anything logical to fix the problem yet it always turns out to be something wouldn't expect. You want to know something, I'm wondering if the torque converter clutch is hung up or something, that would cause an overheating issue... Without being there it is difficult for me or anyone to with certainty come up with a solution, mainly because there can be multiple sources to the problem. First thing to figure out is why the hell is the transmission getting hot, is it cooling, is it the bands (maybe the rear band is too tight which does cause the transmission to get very hot), is it a hung up clutch... And so on, most likely once you fix the overheating issue, everything else will go away.

So find out why it's overheating, check the cooling system, make sure there aren't any clogs and the pump is able to deliver the proper volume in timely fashion. The worst thing that is coming to my mind is the lube feed hole in the intermediate shaft isn't aligned with the lube feed hole in the OD piston retainer. It doesn't have to be perfectly aligned but the closer the better and when you grenade a OD unit it is very easy to misalign the holes during a rebuild.