View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
99 V10 is on a distinguished road

I like ATF myself also. I checked out their webpage it seems geared towards diesels not gas rigs. There are a few companies out there with some good products. But I again look at price as a factor. Is it really worth it vs other options.
I have only found one oil additive that ever really impressed me. It was a product called IXL I believe. I have some in my stock of oils. On Ford Rangers with the Mazda 5 speed transmissions they used ATF. The fluid would burn black after time. Also the transfer case oils would burn. Most people never change the oils & failure happened. Well I tried this additive like 2-3 oz in the tranny & the same for transfer case. I bought my Ranger new in 1990. After about 35,000 miles I started seeing the fluid changing color to burnt. So I changed it & added some of this additive. I ran both that tranny & transfer case over 100,000 miles & the fluid looked as red & clean as the day I put it in.
Another product I run & like is LubeGard for trannys. It saved me a 4L60E trans, once. It drops ATF temps by up to 40 degrees on hard pulls with heavy loads. A tranny shop in Cottonwood Arizona did some test on I-17 between Camp Verde & the Prescott turn off. Can't think of the name of the grade. Old age setting in. The owner told me with 10,000# behind an automatic transmission he pulled the grade recorded the trans temps. Then went back & added LubeGard. He saw up to a 40 degree drop in trans temp. This was on a rebuilt trans he built. The outside temp ranged from 95 degrees down to 87 @ top of pass

Last edited by 99 V10; 01-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.