View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
96DodgeRam1500 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 Dodge not getting command from PCM to transmission to shift

Truck i have is in my sig but to make sure its a 98 Dodge 2500 Sport 4x4.. it has the 360 with auto 46RE trans. Has 155k miles.
Basically the transmission is not shifting as it should from 1-2 and 2-3. What it will do is whined all then way out to 3,000k rpm before it shifts into 2nd and it wont shift into 3rd til it goes over 40mph. Usually 3,200 rpm. After that it shifts great.
I have already replaced the governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor along with fresh ATF+4 and new trans filter. No change.
Also tightened the front band as it should.. still no change.
So before i spent more money into it that wasnt going to fix it I took it to a shop so they could hook up their fancy snap-on scanner. He took it for a test drive with it plugged in. Came back and told me everything is working great. No TPS problems, pressure in trans is perfect, solenoid and sensor working great, no issues at all EXCEPT... He narrowed it down all the way to the PCM. Said that the PCM itself isnt sending a signal to the transmission for 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.
Just wanted to get another opinion on this before I go find another PCM. Sounds like that could be the issue but wouldnt it throw off the other gears too? Also in my 98 would the PCM be VIN specific like some of the newer dodges. Didnt want to go get another PCM and it not work because the VIN doesnt match up. I dont have any other to try so I would be stuck buying one. I will probably get one from the junk yard.
Need to hurry up and get this issue fixed a.s.a.p. I do alot of city driving and im usually stuck whinding out in 2nd without being able to get up to 40 so the truck is usually sounding like its about to loose it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.