View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge ram 1500
Rep:10
hondaracing02 is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 5.2L transmission issues (need advice)

I have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L (318 engine). Im not sure how much pertains to the tranny, so ill tell as much as I can about the truck. Lifted 6 inches on 35's. Has 410 gears with a detroit locker differential in the front end. The engine was swapped out with a 99 318. The old transmission from the 1995 is still in the truck though, was told this is the "non-electronic" transmission. The man I bought the truck from was a mechanic and did all the work. He said he rebuilt the transmission once before and should only have around 12,000 miles on it right now. I think I believe him, but the transmission went out on me when trying to back up to a trailer the other night.

-Ive owned it since this past summer, and it has always took longer to shift into reverse (probably a good 2 or so seconds). Drive was always normal. The other day I put the truck into 4 wheel drive to back to a trailer in the snow, and the truck just revved like it was in neutral. Messed around with it a bit, it sounds like it goes into reverse, but doesn't (weaker engaging sound than normal). I put it and drive to make sure drive was alright, and proceeded to drive down the road. It was acting alright, but now it seems to want to come out of gear, and doesnt like to shift into 3rd until higher rpms. My first thought was get it rebuilt, but that would cost me $1500 and i cannot afford that.

-Since the guy said the transmission was rebuilt once recentley, and has few miles on it, should I drop the transmission and have someone look at it to see if only a few parts need replacing for cheap? Or do you almost have to get the whole thing rebuilt? The fluid doesnt smell burnt at all to me. I would like to drop the tranny myself, but is it a pretty hard process to do? Also what tranny should a search for if I am going to buy a cheap used one from a private owner online? I've read that it should be the 46RH. Also read the tranny for 95 is the same in the 318 and 360, but the 360 torque converter is weighted. Not exactly sure how that works. I know of a guy with a 94 transmission he claims was rebuilt and cost him 1400. He said he'll sell it for $700.

-Any help on what I should do to save money, yet have a reliable transmission would be greatly appreciate. Also would like advice on how to pull my own tranny, and does it interfere with the transfer case?

Any questions for me about the truck, just ask. Thank you!
Sponsored links