Thread: electric fan?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:39
Spidey1.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtowne View Post
What I did was go to the local u-pick junkyard . Found me a ford windstar, ripped the fan out, paid the guy 20 bucks.

stopped by napa, grabbed a relay, and a temp sensor that just stuck in the radiator fins.

Also picked up a toggle so I could manually turn it on/off incase of sensor failure.

its been that way for about 4 years now. up untill about 2 years ago it was my work vehicle, I contracted for time warner and installed cable services out of it. Lots of city driving,, never an issue overheating.

come winter time it never even kicks on unless you leave it sitting and idling forever.

On the truck itself, I ripped that whole stupid fan shroud out, took the fan off. made custom mount brackets for the windshield wash fluid and rad overflow.

The ford windstar fan is almost a 100% bolt in. 2 bolt holes actually line up, the other 2 were about half an inch off. piece of flat steel and a couple holes with a drill bit made a fine bracket.

the system covers the entire radiator.

The fan is a dual setup, and has its own shroud system, much more compact.

I can actually stand in the engine bay between the rad and engine, super roomy now.

What I have noticed - Improved city MPG. .. MUCH less noise from engine bay . quicker throttle response.

I cant remember what year windstar it was, but its a popular drop in for our 2nd gen rams. a quick google search should get you some results.

If you want some pictures to give you an idea, let me know,, I can snap some tomorrow for you.

total investment under $50.
I'd be interested in seeing those pictures..how much mpg improvement did you see with the electric fan?