Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Sport
Color: RED
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Sabyre is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pressure Problem

98 RAM 1500, 318, 230,000 Miles

This is an on going issue, in fact 2 years ago we parked the truck out of the way and its been there until yersterday. I'm tired of it being in the yard dormant. If it's worth fixing then we will keep it and ustilize it or it needs to be sold.

Oil pressure drops from 40psi to 0 and will come back up at intermitten times. Last time we were doing anything to resolve this we did a full tuneup, replaced the CKP, 02 sensor, coil, etc. Basically though a bunch of money at it hoping for the best.

The oil pressure thing we assumed was a bad sensor, but I now don't think so.

The problem with the truck is that after it heats up it struggles to stay running. Cold it runs great. Warmed up it will die and you wont get it started till it completely cools. And when I say warmed up I mean 1 mile, 2 miles tops and your walking.

As I said, yesterday we moved it to the garage and it now has a lifter tap.

I don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together before, but now it seems obvious that the truck (Fred) is starving for oil and tried to warn us.

The question is has it gone to far to be recovered?

Logic tells me that being starved for oil, metal to metal friction is causing internals to expand and become harder and harder to move as it heats up.

Is it worth dropping the pan, replacing the oil pump and tube, or is the lifter tap a sign that too much damage has been done?