Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
I'm figuring you are a bit inexperienced, so I am going to ask this question. Do you want cam lope, or do you want power? Lumpy cams that create alot of lope have alot of overlap and duration. This is for high rpm race cars, lightweight and usually with steep gears and if an auto a really high stall converter.

If it's getting rebuilt, put better pistons in to raise your compression some, between 9:1 to 10:1. What gears do you have? 3.55's do not make for acceleration (your truck probably weighs in the neighborhood of 4600-4800lbs). If I were building a stock displacement 360 for your truck, I would put in the better pistons, arrange for matched stall torque converter to go with the cam and gears. 3.92's would help, 4.10's or 4.56's would be better. Hughes Engines is one of the best places to talk to about cam selection. You need to match it with the gears and converter you intend to use. Since you are rebuilding the engine, have you had the trans looked at? It stands to reason if you have a fresh engine making more power, you will break your however-many-miles-it-has-transmission. Think of everything working together as a 'system', not just the engine making all the power.
Hemilonestar, could I trouble to you give me advice in my post over in the 5.2 section. It's about cams/heads/piston combo. TIA