Hey guys, just bought my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Lonestar Edition w/ 5.7L v8 Hemi. I've only driven it 500 miles but have been toying a lot with the Eco-boost function that automatically comes on while driving a constant speed, or decelerating. Before I learned a few tricks to milk it, I was averaging around 14 mpg highway. Now that i've learned a few tricks on how to milk the Eco-boost, I'm getting between 17-20 mpg highway (depending on where i'm going... the more hills / overpasses your route will have, the lower the mpg you'll get. I've been learning which highway routes in Houston, Tx give better mpg over others
Now that i'm driving where Eco-boost is on 80% of the time or more, I'm trying to see how I can break the 20mpg mark constantly. I've been reading everything from:
- Messing with the Cat-converter
- Putting in a Cold Air Intake
- Changing the tire pressure
- Swapping out my hood with a carbon-fiber hood to decrease the truck's weight - thus increasing mpg
- Putting plates behind the grill so air doesn't flow through the engine but creates a wall slicing through the air better
- Using lucas lubricants in the fuel (i've done that with older cars and works well, unsure how that'll work with a new vehicle)
- Install adjusting air suspension, where the truck lowers closer to the ground when driving on the highway.
- Tuning chip that is "supposed" to increase mpg.
All of these individually seem like they wouldn't make much of a difference, but combined they would probably make a huge impact. But doing all of them would be extremely expensive (mainly the hood and suspension
) and would take half a decade to break even on the amount of fuel i would save. I was wondering if i'm missing anything? I have heard about tuning chips that can increase my particular year ram mpg up to 10, but doesn't most void the warranty?
If i'm missing something that can be done, let me know. Or if anyone has done the above mentioned and has noticed an increase in their mpg please post up! I'm not sure there is any one single thing that can be added to the vehicle to dramatically increase fuel economy. How aggressive you are behind the wheel will always be the #1 means for increasing or decreasing your mpg, but if anyone knows any tweeks that won't void any warranties or make it fail emissions inspections, i'd appreciate some input. Thanks