Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom
Trim Level: SLT Laramie Custom
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:22
beginningjockey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj45lvr View Post
been busy lately. I will try to drop the pan and take a look. I will have to look into what the TV cable needs to be adjusted to check that out.

the trans will shift from 2nd to drive (not first to 2nd without manually moving select out of drive to second)....but the thing that is disturbing is the trans losing its "grip" and RPM jumping.

I am sure the fluid level is OK as I did check it hot and running in neutral on level ground.

Hopefully if it is toast I can get it rebuilt for under 900....
Rebuilt for under $900? Good luck. I have never found a shop to do that yet. Even if I did I would not trust them to do it.

It sounds to me like your overrunning clutch is going out on you. Once it is out completely you won't be doing anything. The overrunning clutch is needed to make shifts from one gear to another. When that slips, the RPMs will jump and it won't shift right. if any clutches are slipping they will fill the governor with trash and it will not function anymore. Make sense?