View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Sorry, I just now saw your post (it didn't say "Trans" in the title, so I missed it originally).

The 100 RPM engine "flare" on inclines could be the converter changing from full lockup to partial lock (and back again). Not sure if it actually does that or not under those conditions (I'm not intimately familiar with the various software calibrations), but wanted to point out that this is a possibility. As for the shudder, yes, it could be a clutch volume that has learned to a wrong value somehow, so a reflash or a "quicklearn" could help that.

If you have any significant slippage in the trans (while in gear), you will get logical limp-in (1st and 4th gears only) and eventually a CEL, so I don't think that's what's happening.
Right on, thanks for answering, in Ontario there are a lot of grades where you are almost at the "gearing down" point, but not quite, just never had my truck do that before this last trip. I believe a flash would fix this from what you say. I started experimenting after these symptoms and was manually downshifting with the +/- on the shifter anticipating a climb for some hills and everything was as smooth as it should be, being at a higher RPM.