View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
99 V10 is on a distinguished road

The MagnaFlow muffler is shorter than the stock one so pipe has to be added someplace to make up for the length difference. By moving the muffler back you cut a very small amount of heat from the cats to the muffler. The muffler is stainless steel so heat won't hurt it. As I remember the two pipes needed a slight bend to fit. My tailpipe was Mandel bent so the installer wanted to leave it alone. Because a 3" mandel bend tailpipe will flow more exhaust cleaner than a 3.5" maybe even a 4" pipe bent on a plain tubing bender.
See people miss that kind of stuff. The manufactures spend millions on R&D figuring out the little things like that. Then guys think they know better & start changing stuff & wonder why things are not better.
But no matter what you do the V-10 kind of sound like the old split manifolds that guys used on the 50s Chevy I-6s. I just wanted better flowing exhaust & wasn't after noise, just a mellow tone.
Did it make much difference I think it gave me a little more power (maybe) gas mileage if it improved it was in thousands not mpg or even a few tens.

Last edited by 99 V10; 01-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.