View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Rotating the coil is tricky. In my truck, there is literally only one spot you can put that coil in where it will not rub the bag, it took me about an hour to get it right, and I had the truck on a lift. From Factory position, I had to rotate clockwise (looking at it from the rear) approximately 3/4 of a full rotation. Conversely you could rotate counter-clockwise 1/4 turn, at least on mine.

The issue we are running into is variation in RAM's rear springs and to some degree, suspension geometry. It isn't much, thousandths of an inch maybe, but its just enough that some trucks require a coil spring rotation, and others do not. Mine still rides EXTREMELY close to the bag, but doesnt rub.
I can fit a dime between the spring and the bag when deflated and a nickel between them when inflated. I ran the setup for a month and checked again, no rub marks on the bag.

TLC's view is that even when there is a slight touching, since the air springs and coil springs move at the same rate, there is no adverse rubbing and its not a problem.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...