Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
mcompton1973 is on a distinguished road
Default replace tie rods or mechanic? grinding noise up front

Purchased an '05 Ram 1500 4x4 with Hemi and 175k miles this summer.
A couple if months ago I started hearing a grinding noise in the front end of the truck. Mainly when I noticed it was when I am driving on a highway and then would steer the truck a little to the left or right (left mainly) like switching lanes or even correcting drift within the lane...I would hear a grinding for a minute and then it would go away. I had another truck, so fearing that this was a wheel bearing issue, I decided to leave it till warmer weather. Well other truck visited a guard rail courtesy of my 17 year old, so now this is something I have to address.

I took it to a firestone shop and paid $22. for their diagnosis because there is snow on the ground and it is only 7 outside. They said tie rods are loose on both sides, but they could not duplicate the noise. Brakes on front passenger was 60% so they dont THINK it is brakes. They also said though that they could not get the drivers side wheel off because one of the lug nuts what not right size and is cross threaded. They would need to probably break and replace the stud. so they could not look at brakes on drivers side for sure but assumed that it would be similar to passenger front.

They did not mention wheel bearings so I asked the service adviser, and he said "the mechanic didnt mention it, so they must have checked out"

Can tie rods cause a grinding sound like I am describing, or should I have someone else look at it? what are your thoughts?
Sponsored links