DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Yet another DIY spray on truck bed liner thread!

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BadHazard 
#1 ·
I have seen several threads about the Raptor spray on truck bed liner. Costs about $110 on ebay and other places and seems easy enough to apply. But my questions is, has anybody used this or a similar product long enough to know how well it holds up? Most threads end after the application and discussion of how great it looks (or doesn't look). But what about a year later, or 2 years later? How easily does it chip or peel? What about after some really heavy use? I'd love to save a few hundred bucks and I know I can do the job myself, but its not worth it if I just have to have it redone every year. I haul a lot of rock and brick in the bed so whatever I use its gotta hold up.

#2 ·
I don't know, but I had a friend try one of the diy roll on products, he didn't do as many coats as recommended and it didn't hold up, but he didn't do as instructed....I think if it's going to cost over $100 then get the professional linex or rhino for $350 thats warranted for life and will look perfect...IMO

#3 ·
If it was only $350 then I would, but its gonna be $500. I heard bad things about the roll on type, but others are saying good things about the spray type. I have done compressed air spray gun painting before, I know I can do it properly. My concern is the quality of the product and how well it will hold up under moderate to heavy use. I was hoping somebody has had it on their bed long enough to know.

#4 ·
I think, just like when painting, it comes down to how well it's prepped. I've painted a few things (mainly my motorcycles) and always did like 50% prep 50% paint, and it would come out OK. I painted my brothers sportster and did like 90% prep and 10% paint and I swear it's one of the best paint jobs.....I should post pics lol. And this was like my 3rd time painting something with no background experience other than what I've read and doing rattle can stuff around the house... I think if you scuff the bed up really good then clean it with something to get all the oils residue off it would turn out decent. Linex around me for basic under the rail is like $375 I think rhino is like $325...

#5 ·
Well I bought the Raptor kit and chose the tintable. Went to Finish Masters and had them mix a pint to match my factory color. Gonna do it this week! Also got a Kobalt toolbox and ordered matching steel rail caps and a single bar rack for leaning all the pipes and lumber I haul up against the back of the cab. If I have enough material, I will spray the bar with the raptor, but I suspect I will want to use it all on the bed to make it as thick as possible. I will post some picks when I am done and keep you all updated on how well it holds up over time.

#6 ·
In my opinion, both the DIY and non DIY liners all boil down to how well you prepped. I used a DIY on my truck, but tested it at the job site before I did my truck. I followed the instructions to a T and it has held up just fine at work. So I finally did my truck. I am very pleased with the results. I saved $200+ by doing it myself, which I'm going to put towards my nerf bars, and when I showed my friends, they thought I had paid someone to spray it in. I really believe there is more pride in something when you've put the work into it yourself, than when you pay someone else to do it. At least that holds true for me.

#7 ·
Ive had my raptor for the past few months, I love it. No fading or errors

#8 ·
The key, as others have said, is prep. I have a buddy who prepped really well and ha great results with the raptor stuff. Another guy i know also used the raptor but didn't prep well at all and he had a problem with peeling after a few months.

#9 ·
Yeah its all in the prep work! Just check out my thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.