DODGE RAM FORUM banner

392 Hemi engine cover for 5.7 Hemi????

13K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Ramfd 
#1 ·
So since I got my challenger, I've found out about a few mods for it and it got me to wondering if I could possible do the same mod to my Ram. I had seen on challenger forum about changing the engine cover (as we all know that the 5.7 Hemi cover isn't the greatest). I switched my 5.7 cover to the 392 half covers and think it turned out pretty good. Now it's got me to wondering if I could do the same for my ram... has anyone tried this? I'm going to see if this is even possible the coming week when I'm off. If it works, I'll try and give a detail thread on parts, prices, part numbers and what needs to be done.

From this (challenger)...

To this (challenger)

This is how it looks now on my Ram

See less See more
#3 ·
i really love the half cover look, i would love to see some other options for engine covers.

#6 ·
here is a link to the hemi engine covers that they offer, not bad, $130 with cut.
http://www.3gcustomz.com/newreleasedparts
still think we need to email them and spark more interest for other parts and options.

#7 ·
This is the email I recieved from 3G customs when I asked about their expanded product line...

Hey Dustin,

We would like to but interest is far and few and in between. We even had a friend start a thread on a related forum and the interest just wasn't there. It takes a lot of time and money to develop a new product line and if we had the demand it would be a no brainer. I think some day but not right now.

Thanks,
Gary

Name: dustin downs
Model: ram 1500
Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7l
Transmission: Automatic
City: oklahoma city
State: OK
Zip Code: 73127
Email: broncho01@hotmail.com
Comment: Are you planning on expanding your product line for the trucks in the future?

#8 ·
So since I got my challenger, I've found out about a few mods for it and it got me to wondering if I could possible do the same mod to my Ram. I had seen on challenger forum about changing the engine cover (as we all know that the 5.7 Hemi cover isn't the greatest). I switched my 5.7 cover to the 392 half covers and think it turned out pretty good. Now it's got me to wondering if I could do the same for my ram... has anyone tried this? I'm going to see if this is even possible the coming week when I'm off. If it works, I'll try and give a detail thread on parts, prices, part numbers and what needs to be done.

From this (challenger)...

To this (challenger)

This is how it looks now on my Ram

Let us know how this works out. That would look great under my hood! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#11 ·
Well I was able to check it out today and it's a NO GO... The covers for the challenger 5.7/392 use two connectors on each side. The Ram 5.7 uses one connector on each side and dual connector at the back. I just don't see anyway to make it work without having to rig something to the motor and possibly over modify the new covers to make them fit. The covers cost too much to chance messing them up for nothing. Sorry guys...

#13 ·
Yeah, no problem...

Right Cover 5038543AB
Left Cover 5038544AB

They should be right around $67 bucks a piece, I got my dealer down to $49 bucks a piece but I'm sure you can probably get them even cheaper. If not, speedlogix.com sells them for $45.88 a piece. I just didn't want to wait. Let me know if you figure something out.

#15 ·
Hey guys, I emailed 3G this afternoon and this is what I got in response!

I cannot confirm that. I have never tested it myself. I would guess they need to be modified. If you know anyone with a Ram in the middle GA area then we could knock out a set with ease.

The person with the car here would get a set for free.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:29 PM
To: sales@3gcustomz.com
Subject: Contact Us Requested

You have received a contact request from a visitor to your storefront at http://shop.3GCUSTOMZ.COM:

Name: Brett -------
Phone Number: ------------
Request:

Do you're Ram Hemi engine covers fit the 2010 model? They look great but wanted to check for fitment. Thanks

Thank you,
The Quick Shopping Cart Team

Anyone in the middle GA area wanna try this out?

#16 · (Edited)
Ya'll are way behind on the half cover game. I purchased the charger half covers from 3g and modified (had to trim and cut) to fit on our rams. I told them I did it and asked if they would like me to ship them back so they can have them for our 4th gens. and they said there wasn't enough interest. I am waiting for them to get painted and marble-ized (to match my vararam) but hopefully will have them back soon.

#17 ·
From the looks of it then, the Charger ones will work with trimming. Doesn't seem worth it to get any of the 3G cut-outs, wont be able to see em.

I still would like something that fits out of the box, I know other feel the same. I don't like having to buy $105 pieces I then have to cut up myself. Just my .02

Thanks for posting that the Charger covers fit with trimming. Dang near seems like you had to cut half of the one cover awway.

#19 ·
is it just me or do these ram covers just look cheap? some folded sheet metal. I really like the ones that js1977 has on his challenger with the black wrinkle finish and the raised silver fins. thats what I want!

#27 ·
well first off the vintage cars did not have nearly the amount of wiring and ugly brackets on the engine as the new ones do. if i could clean up some of the harness and actually get a nice clean view of the valve covers and the intake manifold i too would love to showcase the hemi without an engine cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.