DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Not impressed with canned tunes...

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  BlueJet 
#1 ·
So, I have had my Trinity on my truck for a couple of months and I have tried making adjustments to get it where I would like but I am still not impressed. In fact, I put my stock tune back on to see how it compared and everything except throttle response seem to be as good or better with the factory tune. This is with both 87 and 91 performance tunes. The transmission performance with the canned tunes is horrible.

My question is, with a Hemifever or other custom tune, does it make this thing worth it? I am mainly looking for throttle response, low torque management, and slightly improved peak performance. People with custom tunes...chime in please:smileup:

Thanks!

#2 ·
Diablo canned tunes are typically not very good. They are typically the worst canned tunes of any company out there from my experience. A different tuner or the "custom"(mail order or email order is the new thing) tuning should be a noticeable improvement.

#3 · (Edited)
Diablo canned tunes are typically not very good. They are typically the worst canned tunes of any company out there from my experience. A different tuner or the "custom"(mail order or email order is the new thing) tuning should be a noticeable improvement.

For an 09' or 10' 5.7L Hemi Ram

There is absolutely undeniably no better canned tune available than Diablo

4.7L guys dont have freakin CLUE so you can dismiss their B.S. RFN

A buddy and I extensively track tested a Bully Dog GT, Superchips Cortex and Diablosport Trinity on two 10' Hemi Ram's
Goto DT and look for tuner wars, many others will back up our findings

The ONLY tuner that got me into the 13 second club was the Diablo PERIOD (RCSB 4x4 with 3.55's)

Maxed out shift points (6400rpm) were 500rpm higher than both Diablo and Bully Dog were capable of
I also maxed out Throttle Booster and I have NEVER used a custom tune from Hemifever or WhiteLightning
Canned 93 tune only, too many have killed their transmissions running white lightning trans tuning (IMHO)

BUT you have to have a high quality 93-94 octane fuel source to take full advantage of the tuning.

Superchips has all but totally abandoned RAM tuning ever since,
threw in the towel after 2010 and has no support for 2011's, 2012's and certainly not 2013's

I sold my Bully Dog GT at a loss, it was 3 tenths slower than my Diablo Trinity
Superchips was a total joke, if you tried to shift over 5900 rpm it paused, stalled and fkd up the entire run

#5 · (Edited)
For an 09' or 10' 5.7L Hemi Ram

There is absolutely undeniably no better canned tune available than Diablo

4.7L guys dont have freakin CLUE so you can dismiss their B.S. RFN

Lmao, your funny, not sure where you can come up with such a statement, someone with a 4.7 must of pissed your ego off at some point. There are even more 5.7 people who will state the same info "Diablo Canned tunes are crap" and the higher you go in the 4th gen like 2011 and 2012's its stated more often as people try out the Diablo Can tunes. That being said, Diablo with a Hemifever tune gets 3 thumbs up, 5 stars, and lots of happy campers.

Ya, I am a 4.7 guy and you can dismiss my information, lmao Just because I have a 4.7 and have been in racing for a better part of my 48 years does not make me an authority on tuners. But I can read and research what the majority of people out there are saying, and 4.7 or 5.7 owners have spoken and the consensus is that they find the Canned tunes by Diablo are not as good as other makes canned tunes. JMO but I would stem to say the Diablo tuners where not really created to be a can tune box, but a programmable unit that can be fine tuned for the vehicle and the modifications to that said vehicle. So they probably did not spend much time making a better can tune for the unit. Again, JMO from a 4.7 guy, no BS, its really JMO

and Yes you did do some testing with your truck and your buddies truck, still, that is just testing on your truck and your buddies truck, unfortunately there are millions of other trucks out there and these do not have the same configurations as yours, nor do they have the same computer, nor are they configured the same as yours. For your truck and your buddies it worked out for you, congratulations, but calling others out as BS is not needed and immature, you can state your information as a reference but get over yourself as to your extent of expertise over everyone else, it does not equal that of the whole population of Ram owners. Great info and very good to have, but it is still only a 2 truck minority to that of the quantity out there.

#6 ·
Asur, your full of BS, I saw in your profile you have a 4.7L, so it must be BS. Those v6 guys must be HUGE morons!

The OP can do his own research, take everyone's input, and make his own decision. Yeah, I have not owned a 4th gen hemi with a diablo but typically(like I said) diablo tunes fall behind compared to every other tuner from what I've seen. Whether that's true or not on the 4th gen hemi I don't know and don't really care, just giving my input(without insulting others). I do know I've seen many posts about people not being able to tell a difference with the diablo on a 4th gen hemi. Again, whether it's in their head I don't know.

BRH, I've been trying to ignore you as best I can, I still don't know why you hate me so much lol, but how about we just post our input without insulting each other? The OP can make his own decision on what to buy. Or the mods can delete these posts too. Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to post in the same thread??????

In all seriousness, I can read your posts, ignore them, and make my own without any reference to you, and I think you can do the same.

#10 ·
Every truck is slightly different. I have mine custom dyno tuned with my Predator. My tuner guy TDP in Stueben, Maine knows his $hit, he tunes a lot of Rams as well as LX/LC Mopars, turbos, superchargers and all kind of wild cams. Mustang dyno and Diablo Tuners. If I tried to tune my truck with any other tuner, it would have blown up. Inertia's Spartan Plus cam, would not even run with any other tuner. Canned tunes, wouldn't know, cause my truck needs a custom tune.

Reactions: Asur and Grubrunner
#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been running on the stock tune and watching my knock values. I'm having some ST retard issues mostly at part throttle (sometimes 4deg+). I've ran multiple injector cleaners through it, sucked a bottle of sea foam into the intake, fresh NGK's, can't seem to get it with simple solutions. Anyone have any other ideas? Im running 89 octane fuel from good gas stations. Is this normal or do I have issues? I'm going to take a look in my intake manifold and see if it is full of oil and maybe a catch can would help me out. I'm thinking this knock issue is making the dsp tunes seem worse than they are.

#12 ·
The pcm retarding timing will result in power loss. What tune are you running with the 89 octane? 89 tune? 87 tune? If it's an 89 or 87 tune and you're using 89 octane you shouldn't have any issues. Try some 91 or 93 just to see if you notice a difference and if it stops from pulling timing.

4 deg may not be a big deal especially if not at wide open throttle and high rpm. I've seen as much as 9 deg pulled on the superchips 93 tune with 93 octane. Depends on a lot of things. Temperature can have an impact. The biggest factor is weight of the vehicle(load on the engine). The more load, the more chance of detonation. That's why you can't tow/haul with the performance tunes unless you use higher octane.

#13 ·
I will say I hated the canned tunes. No matter how I ran it i always got to much knock st or lt. I always run 93 octane gas when I can get it by the way.

Once I got my custom Hemifever tune there were a few major improvements over the canned tunes. The most important being the knock degrees.

I see 0 LT knock and a max of 2 degrees of ST knock when I tow.

I refuse to ever run the canned tunes again as long as I can have custom tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.