DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2001 1500 dash Whats the Deal.....

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sanddperformance 
#1 ·
I just got the truck and seen the problems that it had.

Now I am going the list of fixing at what needs to be worked on.

So I finished with the engine problems, so i figured, I should start with the dash area.

Top of the dash is like gone ( from what I heard to was a bad start from the beginning ) and started replacing a switch and AC controls....

The minute I started to loosen the screws/bolts for the items on the dash, the back part of it started to break/crumble.....

Whats the deal with that.....????

Now i have to do is start super gluing the parts to the dash or get another dash carrier....

But I am afraid that I might run into the same problem once I get another dash carrier....????

Can anyone help at what to do now and are there an aftermarket companies that can fix this problem.....????

See less See more
#2 ·
The dashes were made of a plastic material that when exposed to the glare of the sun through glass, acted like someone using a magnifying glass, the sun, & soft plastic. It gets hard & then brittle.
Now they use a different type of plastic, it doesn't cook at 140 degrees F

Several companies are making dash caps or covers that are custom made for the different dashes

take your pick
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sa=X&e....,cf.osb&fp=b95e30ffc92006d2&biw=1024&bih=550

#6 ·
I think if you buy a replacementvash from lmc its about 225$ but it will have most of what your looking for as far as crumbled parts its the whole dash with the newer plastic made like the factory so it can go in as a unit. Yours is beyond useing a dash cap sorry to say.

#9 ·
went to the dealership that they had on the other side of the city...

They gave me a quote for what I needed and goes as follows:

Panel-lower ( dash carrier ) 854.00
I/Panel-In ( dash upper ) 452.00
Bezel-Inst ( Cluster bezel ) 414.00

Total $1720.00 :wtf:

I ran across a guy that goes to auctions.
He says that he can like pick up trucks like next to nothing.
So I am hoping :pop:

#10 ·
Most ALL of these trucks will have cracked dashes. And even if you pull one that is less cracked it may not make it through reinstallation. LMC has the dash, bezel, and reinforcement clips can be bought for less thank $500. You may find a cluster bezel in a parts truck but it would be a "unicorn" to find a good dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.