DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need help quick!! Please

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  ccdirtyone 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 1500 with the 5.9 and it ran fine yesterday and now this morning it is acting like it is not getting fuel. If you gently roll into the gas the RPMs would go up slightly but if you roll into normally then it stumbles and bogs down. will not rev up. Could it be the fuel filter or plugged cat. I have just done the plenum gasket and I think that I may have a intake gasket issue, because it is still using alot of oil. Please help any info would be great.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
The truck doesn't have a fuel filter. I'd start with a pressure test (on the fuel rail driver's side rear). Either that or have someone keep tapping on the tank with a rubber mallet while you get in and try to rev it a little.

It sounds like low fuel pressure to me.

If you have to try starting fluid (or a small container of gas directly down the TB-but be careful) as a supplemental fuel to see if it's running okay with sufficient fuel flow when you rev it, sometimes a helper isn't an option.

#5 · (Edited)
I was working my way to that and didn't want to jump the gun in the hope that it was an unrelated problem.

If it's not fuel, try spraying the engine at an idle (if it'll idle) with a spray bottle or soapy water, but don't drown it, around the new gaskets to see if you get an increase in the idle.

(EDIT) an afterthought...when you did the intake did you separate the fuel line from the fuel rail? Lift it out of the way? Separate the injectors and lift the rail and injectors?

Could be a crimped/twisted fuel line.

#6 ·
I did the intake about two weeks ago. I did not pull the fuel line, I pulled the injectors out and tied the rails back out of the way. Since I did the intake it has still been using a lot of oil so I think that the gasket may have slipped. Other than using oil it had been running fine. The MPG have been on the bad side but no other issues, changed the plugs to the autolite 3923. The plenum gasket was bad for awhile that is why I was thinking the cat had gone bad.

#7 ·
i suggest that NO ONE should ever put STARTER FLUID into a gas engine
use a shot or 2 of WD-40 instead, it is highly flammable

you could give your engine what you think is a short shot of starter fluid & it is too much & you may have a run a way, over revving engine

#16 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help. I figured out what was going on with the not running right, Cat was PLUGGED! I knocked the stuffing out, and now she is running like a champ! BUT, on to a new problem, it is now smoking. White smoke to be exact, could this be part of my oil use issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.