DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Durango O2 problem

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  CherryRam 
#1 · (Edited)
Trouble with my mom's 99' durango again. The other day it started to chug and sputter like it was going to stall, then idled up to keep itself running. Engine light came on. Checked codes, got code p0132. Assumed bad upstream sensor so today I changed it. Drove it around a little bit and it did it again, felt like it was going to stall, idled up but when I gave it gas to leave the stop sign I was at, it gutted out for a second or two with no power then finally took off like nothing was wrong. Checked codes when I got home, now it has code P0135 and P0138. I don't get it. Any thoughts?

*EDIT* it only does it when the trucks at a stop and idling, and doesn't do it when it's cold only after it's been driven for a while.

#2 ·
What engine is in the Durango? Judging by the symptoms and codes, I'm inclined to think maybe you have the O2 sensor signal and heater wires shorted together. My second guess is a PCM internal issue. You really need access to a scan tool and DVOM to sort this out unless a visual inspection of the wiring turns up a problem.

#5 ·
I checked the harness and found no problem. My mom took it this afternoon to a local mechanic, he thinks the exhaust manifold leak ( it's a quiet tick so I thought it wasn't that bad) could be messing with the o2 reading, he thinks it could also be the Idle air control. I'm going to do the manifold gaskets since they need it anyways to see if that solves it. But I don't think an IAC would cause it to throw o2 codes. He says it could be confusing the ecu... sounds like too much of a shot in the dark though.

#6 ·
I think this guy is either incompetent or is trying to take you for a ride. Either way, I wouldn't call him trustworthy. Below are the possible causes for the codes you're getting. I suspect this "mechanic" isn't performing the correct diagnostics by the book and is taking s shot in the dark at it as you stated.

P0135 -

1/1 O2 SENSOR CONNECTOR DAMAGED
1/1 O2 SENSOR GND CIRCUIT OPEN
ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
1/1 O2 SENSOR FAILURE
1/1 O2 SENSOR HEATER ELEMENT FAILURE

P0138 -

CIRCUIT OPEN FROM O2S CONNECTOR TO PCM CONNECTOR
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL SHORT TO VOLTAGE (ENGINE OFF)
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL SHORT TO VOLTAGE (ENGINE RUNNING)
O2S SIGNAL INTERMITTENT SHORT TO VOLTAGE (ENG OFF)
O2S SIGNAL INTERMITTENT SHORT TO VOLTAGE (ENG RUN)
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE DEFECTIVE

#7 ·
I'm going to have to find a new mechanic I think. It's now stalling on the highway, seems like it just gets the power cut while driving. Sometimes does it at a stop. And it's now throwing codes p0132 and p0135. I'm not very good with electrical stuff and can never figure out how to properly test with a voltmeter.

#9 ·
About to push this thing off a cliff. We haven't been able to get it to a new mechanic because it wont drive far enough. We'd have to take it to the city and it now stalls when it's warmed up and usually wont restart until it's fully cooled off. Further research online leads me to fear it is the pcm. Can a pcm be tested?

#14 ·
Yea that's what I noticed when I started to research my problems is that bosch is garbage. Many of them said to go with Denso. Apparently Denso is actually the manufacturer of the oem dodge mopar o2 sensors. I'm just shocked at how much the bad bosch sensor was messing with the ecu. Originally it was just an engine light for a bad o2 and after putting the bosch in is when all the mechanical symptoms started. Just happy it was a cheaper easy fix and not a $300 ecu.

#15 ·
Scratch that, O2 sensor was an unrelated issue to the stalling and not restarting but was good for about 2 weeks afte fixing the O2 issue... this truck is going to be pushed off a cliff soon. I scanned it and again no codes EXCEPT this time I thought I'd look at enhanced DTCs on my scanner and behold a code P0320 which is described as:

P0320 - Chrysler
Type - Powertrain - Ignition System or Misfire - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description - No Crank Reference Signal to PCM Conditions
Cause - Engine cranking, then test started and the PCM did not detect an CKP sensor signals although CMP sensor signals were present (conditions met for over 2 seconds.)

What's frustrating is the crank sensor was replaced by a mechanic about a month and a half ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.