DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Air flow from rear console vents...

8K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  mrsprinkler 
#1 ·
Guys - does the HVAC recall have anything to do with not getting air to flow from the rear console vents?

No matter what blower setting I use, I get almost no flow from them in my crew cab...is this normal or is this symptomatic of the HVAC recall?

Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
Ok, I'm glad to see I'm not going crazy here. Yeah, I mean I'll get just a hint of something, but increasing the fan speed does nothing to increase flow back there. Maybe it's just the design?

My 6 year old brought it to my attention.

#8 ·
Mine have very little airflow through them also. Took it in for the recall & they said all is good. They just re flashed the computer & checked the actuators. It seems to be the norm for the rear vents.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure it's normal. It's the same in my truck too. And it was like that in my 07 Explorer also. I'm not too worried about it as long as it blows strong when I'm sitting in the drivers seat.

#17 ·
Hemilancer is right. If you close the 2 center dash vents the airflow increases to the rear vents...Not much but it does make a difference. Drove my sister-in-law to the airport this morning and adjusted my vents as described and we were all very comfortable. It was 16 degrees this morning.

#19 ·
I had the same thing. I pulled the console and installed a small blower/fan right at the vent. Only problem with it is it's one speed so it blows the same amount of air no matter what. If someone is back there and gets too hot or cold they just close/open the vents in the console. Wish it had a factory set up thats for sure.

#20 ·
I noticed the weak flow. I had the recall addressed on Friday. I am sorry to report that after the recall HVAC issue was taken care of, there was still no change in the air flow. I imagine it's an engineering defect that we will all have to live with.

#22 ·
Didn't think about pictures when I did it.
No the console isn't hard to pull or at least in mine it wasn't. Mine has the console on the floor between the dash and the seat, and then the seat with the flip up back/console on it. Just pull the middle seat area then you can reach down into the center vent area for the back. I just mounted a little 2 1/2" or so DC fan like the Xmas blow ups use in there. Wired it to the fan wire for the rest of the truck. Like I said, runs at same speed no matter what. The air flow is about double what it was. Still not great but better than nothing.
I really wish they had a better set up than what they do. Our 06 tahoe has completly seperate controlls for the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.