DODGE RAM FORUM banner

anybody run a eco boost yet?

10K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  SweetLeaf 
#1 ·
My friend talks a lot if trash about his ecoboost. I don't want to lose, can i get him? He would not race my 08 cummins i just sold.

#41 ·
The EcoBoost has nowhere near the same fuel pressure as a Common Rail Diesel! And the fuel pressure has nothing to do with the tq curve, the big benefit from GDI is charge cooling to help with knock. As long as you can atomize the fuel properly and deliver enough fuel, what does all the extra pressure do for you? GDI engines also suffer from intake valve deposits and soot production just like a diesel.

#42 · (Edited)
I know the Eco does not have the same fuel pressure as a Cummins, I used to work for them. I never said the Eco had the same fuel pressure as a diesel, I just said that Eco's common rail was like the Cummins. Also, the GDi does help in power because you are able to reliably advance the timing to get the power you want without the knock that you don't.

All I am saying it that I used to own a 2009 1500 CCSB 4WD Hemi(by name only cause it ain't the original) with 3.92 in the rear. I added $1,500 in mods like an Airraid intake, Magnoflow cat-back, and a Superchips tuner and could barely get 14.6 as my best. I now own a 2011 F-150 CCSB 4WD 3.5 GTTDi Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. Stock, I could get 14.7-14.9's. With spending just $700 on both my Airraid and Superchups tuner, my best run is now 14.03. Now if I would have spent $6,000 on a supercharger or turbo's then yes my diet-coke-but-not-even-close-to-the-original-Hemi could have smoked the EB, but I would have ruined the reasons why I mainly buy my trucks which is towing and hauling because my EGT's would probably have been through the roof when doing so.

#43 · (Edited)
Whoa hold your horsepower alacey! No disrespect and didn't mean to hurt your F150 feelings there bud but remember, you are on a Ram sight if I'm not mistaken and this thread is titled "Drag racing discussion". What are you doing drag racing yur EB if you stated the reason for you buying it is strictly for towing and hauling? And most of us here might still have to say, a turbo'd anything motor is still a totally different beast when it comes to drag racing a stock naturally aspirated motor, period! Apples to oranges brother. I used to drag race cars and trucks at the tracks in my 20s to 30s and I'd get beat by the boost 80% of the time. Which reminds me about witnessing a stop light drag between a Skyline GT and a ZO6 the other day. Just take a guess as to whom or who won that one. THE TURBO! Sorry, twin turbos. I understand your in depth analysis as to fuel line pressure and upgraded top end parts but fact of the matter is, our stocker can hang if not edge that 2000psi line ppppppressure; naw mean man? Now a turbo cummins in a half ton; then it'd be apples to apples: or maybe not.:smileup: And I second what "roo" stated.

#44 ·
Whoa hold your horsepower alacey! No disrespect and didn't mean to hurt your F150 feelings there bud but remember, you are on a Ram sight if I'm not mistaken. And most of us here might still have to say, a turbo'd anything motor is still a totally different beast when it comes to drag racing a stock naturally aspirated motor, period! Apples to oranges brother. I used to drag race cars and trucks at the tracks in my 20s to 30s and I'd get beat by the boost 80% of the time. Which reminds me about witnessing a stop light drag between a Skyline GT and a ZO6 the other day. Just take a guess as to whom or who won that one. THE TURBO! Sorry, twin turbos. I understand your in depth analysis as to fuel line pressure and upgraded top end parts but fact of the matter is, our stocker can hang if not better than that 2000psi ppppppressure; naw mean man? Now a turbo cummins in a half ton; then it'd be apples to apples.:smileup:
Aaah I almost completely agreed with you until you said a turbo Cummins in the 1500 would be apples to apples lol I don't think a turbo diesel Vs a turbo V6 would quite be the same. Maybe a turbo 4.7 or Pentastar, but the TQ numbers on a Cummins vs the EB just isn't in the same ballpark :LOL:

#45 ·
:hah:Hahaha sorry about that InDeep! Just tryin to stir the kettle a bit. Oh hey and congrats on MOTM man! Love all trucks and wish we all can have the best of the best of the best but where would the fun be in that?

#48 ·
Your a good man alacey and your right, anything to get us to the lake and back works just fine. Hell, I've towed my bass boat with my wifes Hybrid Highlander many a times and it works. But shhhhh, don't tell her I told you so.............Take it low and slow or high and dry brother. Time for dinn!:smileup:

#49 ·
Moving the injection timing effects emissions more than hp, unless you are out in left field with your SOI timing. In 1969 the HEMI was rated @ 425 hp (gross) from 426 cubic inches. Today's bread and butter 5.7 truck hemi makes 390 hp (net) from 345 cubic inches. Even if they underrated the 426 the method of calculating hp gives the old HEMI an unfair advantage. If you rated today's "diet coke" HEMI the same way as in 69 it would probably have made well over 425 hp because of the deletion of all accessories, performance tune and free flowing exhaust more than likely including tube headers. Put a stock 426with a torqueflite in a 4600 lb Chrysler Town Country wagon and see how easy it would be to run a bottom 14 @ 99-98 mph like an Express will do with it's "diet coke" HEMI.

#50 ·
the eb is a nice truck but those little 33mm turbos are already spun to pruduce 12 psi boost stock. that's also why it makes such great low end tq. it doesn't take much to spin up those turbos. Karateman runs 12s all day long in his CC with a stock pullied maggie and I don't see that happening in the eb unless you swap to bigger turbos....which = $$$$. sure a tune and some mods will get the eb about another 100rwhp but those tiny 33mm hair dryers will tap out pretty quick. how many psi do you think you could run on pump gas? maybe 16-17 psi max? my vortech kit should be shipping within the next week and I'll let you all know how it turns out in the 5.7 HEMI section.

#53 · (Edited)
Here's an example of a "space shuttle" dyno graph but on a mustang. Turbos can make such awesome power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJ1iRRnoVg&feature=youtu.be
that guy is constantly battling with Evolution, and Strictly Performance to get in the 8s. Its simply amazing what they are doing with the newer coyote 5.0 engines. Angie and I just got back from MIR ford day and seen what these relatively driven of the dealer lot cars, just slap on 3.55 gears, CAI, X pipe and their deep in the 11s..
but back to the eco boost, and the raptors for that matter.. mess with me on the road , just never had a perfect opportunity :smiley_thumbs_up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.