DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear end fluid change

13K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  HEMI5150 
G
#1 ·
got an 06 and the dealership told me the rear end fluid should be changed every 25000 miles and they was going to charge 175.00. Well i dont want to pay that much and will tackle the job myself. I looked under the truck and did not see a fill plug. Any info or suggestions about the job in general would be helpful.. from start to finish...

thanks for your continued support,

shane

G
#6 ·
stangguy - before you pop your rear diff cover off make sure you have a gasket you can reuse instead of rtv sealing it. If you have rtv you'll have to scrape and clean it off before you put on new sealant.

hemi - Pleae tell me your wrong about there being a rubber fill plug on your diff!

#8 ·
Changing the diff lube is very easy. Drain out the old stuff, clean the magnet,replace the drain plug. Open the fill plug, add the correct amount of (limited slip additive) fill with Mopar synthetic gear lube, weight given in owner's manual and amount, when it starts to run out the fill plug, it's full. I installed the Mag Hitec cover on mine and would highly recommend it , esp if you tow. Oh, dispose of the old lube properly, and try not to get any on you, it stinks like hell.

#9 ·
Make sure you do the gear oil change when required . My truck was to be done every 15,000 . Didn't do it . The posi clutches broke and destroyed the rear . Why they use such horrible posis in these ????? Lookin to put a locker in it here soon . Oh , the rubber plug in the cover is your fill port .

#10 ·
yeah, make sure you get the refill plug off before you drain it...sometimes in my shop on trucks that get the rear differential fluid exchange, the plug is very difficult to get off, and thats on a lift...So, if your doing it on the ground, I would make sure of that, before I drain it out...good luck...

#16 ·
i had a 05 durango that i had added fluid to,stuckmy pinky in the fill hole and got no fluid so i added some.next trip to the dealership they said it was overfilled,that it doesnt go up to the fill plug,but trucks may be different,just thought i would mention my experience.

#17 ·
Weird, my old 94 GMC never had the rear end fluid changed in 175K miles. It had a drain plug though and not the rubber stopper. I'm thinking when I do mine I'm going to put a "real" rear diff plate on it. I just don't like the stopper idea personally.

Is this a normal thing for Dodge to say to have done? The way I was raised was that as long as the fluid in the front and rear wasn't contaminated you were ok.

Luke

#18 ·
Be sure to look at a DODGE service manuel specific to YOUR truck and year because dodge is famous for many different things with their front AND rear differentials over ALL years.

Also filling to the "Fill Plug" until it starts to drain out is NOT always the correct procedure...! (some require LESS oil...!)
Not all differentials are created equal when it comes to service`s and interval`s.
Do yourselves a favor, use fresh new factory lubes that they came with everytime.
An overfilled differential will blow past the oil seals... then the cryin starts

All these people using all the over priced guru oils, think about it...
if it were that good, the MoCo`s would have installed it in ther in the first place.
They`re NOT going to install inferior lubes just to have to replace your drivetrain later on under their dime.
Save your money, change oils,lubes,filters when the service manuel recommends and you cant go wrong.

I`m not a big fan of synthetics BUT i will use them where the manufacture tells me to.
I read in here how some of the guys run their oils 10,000+ miles...(you got to be kiddin me) then wonder why they have problems later on.

So i`ve been told.... and i use to use it
AmsOil = AmericanMilitarySurplus oil
Geez, one would think you could buy it cheaper being that we paid for the military to buy it from us to start with...lol. That sh*t is actually made for jet engines anyway.

I stopped using Amsoil when i found that my engine ran quieter with the factory oil back in it.
You guys with the MDS hemi`s, i`d stop using FULL synthetics in the engines if i were you...
its NOT recommended for the MDS engines.
Show me where its recommended by the MoCo, and i will stand corrected.
If you use synthetics, you better make sure you`re using the recommended oil filter for synthetic oil useage.

Anyhow, my 2cents dont meen much... but just i`d thought throw it out there anyway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.