DODGE RAM FORUM banner

'10 4.7L Ram

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  crash89 
#1 ·
Lookin to purchase a nitrous "System" for my 4.7L. Was wondering what the best setup would be for it since I am slightly new to the Nitrous community.

Was looking to do a 100 shot. Is that safe for a stock timed and stock injectors? at what point do i have to go down in temp on the injectors? i know there is a ratio.

Also I heard of this "Pill" I was looking to get a pill that sprayed In every gear after 3000 RPM and shut off at 5800 RPM (or before shifting). I don't even know if thats possible i was just told thats what could be done. So any info regarding any of these statement would be a big help. Thanks!

#2 ·
I'll start off by saying that I've never run nitrous. I'm only giving you information I've read from others. There is tons of info out there via Google.

There are a couple quality kits out there...I don't know if there is anything specifically for the 4.7. I'll let others comment. Zex, Nitrous Express, etc.

You typically want to retard your timing 2 degrees per 100hp shot IIRC.
Going down a "heat range" is a term applied to spark plugs which you also want to do with each 100hp.

A "window switch" enables you to pick an on and off RPM of the nitrous.

#5 ·
No there is not anything specifically for my engine id have to get an universal kit. As for the brand i was thinking about going with Nitrous Express.

So even if i put a 100 shot id have to adjust my timing?

Also can i run nitrous with my 93 octane performance tune by superchips?

Ok so its called the window switch. Thanks good info!

#7 ·
I ran the Zex kit on my Challenger, but the concept is the same.
NX makes a switch that wires into the gas pedal. I would definitely look to that as a WOT switch.
You would absolutely need to pull timing at 100 (even a bit more at 125).
If the Superchips tune is anything like Diablo (I am pretty confident it is) Your spark at WOT is pretty advanced from a timing perspective. To be safe, I would definitely pull spark timing from that.
I had 2 custom tunes on mine. One with nitrous and one without.
Hope this helps!

#8 ·
I ran the Zex kit on my Challenger, but the concept is the same.
NX makes a switch that wires into the gas pedal. I would definitely look to that as a WOT switch.
You would absolutely need to pull timing at 100 (even a bit more at 125).
If the Superchips tune is anything like Diablo (I am pretty confident it is) Your spark at WOT is pretty advanced from a timing perspective. To be safe, I would definitely pull spark timing from that.
I had 2 custom tunes on mine. One with nitrous and one without.
Hope this helps!
Yea great help! So what if i ran the 50 shot? Any changes need to be made?

#3 ·
I run the Zex wet kit and feel it's very safe... max is 150 shot I think..it's based on a wot switch so there isn't a button to push to activate, just turn the system on and floor it..

#4 ·
God that RPM needle jumped fast. It was shifting at 7K. I thought that be redlining the engine? Thats impressive. Really impressive. What shot do you think i could run with mine? All my internals are stock. such as cams,heads, ect.

#6 ·
Hate to say this but you may end up having to go back to diablo to get a custom tune to retard timing. I know you just switched to SC lol. Maybe you could run the 87 performance tune on 93 octane with the nitrous though or something like that, I'm not sure. 87 tune will have less timing advance than 93 tune so maybe you could get away with that....?

I agree with getting the colder heat range plugs, also I've read that nickel(IIRC) is not good to use with nitrous, it can for whatever reason cause piston damage. Something to do with the nickel coming off the plug and hitting the piston or something....I'll see if I can find where I read this. So I'd stick with the stock materials for plugs, but just a heat range colder.

BTW if you figure out what plugs would be correct for one heat range colder let me know, I can't find it...

You may want to start off with say a 50 shot then upgrade to a 100 shot later, since your new to it. That's what I'd do anyway. I believe you can buy a system that's capable of 100hp, then dial it down with smaller jets. Then later dial it back up with larger jets. I'm no expert though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.