DODGE RAM FORUM banner

So I made an appointment to have my windows tinted and...

5K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  wfahey 
#1 ·
The guy tells me that the 20 percent tint I want will be illegal. They have no problem doing it...but they have to inform me of this. I live in Missouri where the legal tint is 35 percent. I want the front windows to match the back/rear, and don't think the 35 percent would look as nice. Is this something LEO's really pay attention to? I want the darker tint, but don't want to steady any extra attention.

#2 ·
I went with the legal on the front and it isn't that different. Had experience with a car a few years ago where the authority made me peel it off there on the side of the road to make a point. It was within his right to impound or make me remove it according to the city ordanance where I was traveling through. At least he only made me do the drivers window there on the roadside.

#6 ·
I went with 20% to match the back. A good friend in law enforcement told me they would never pull me over for that (honestly 20% does not even look illegal cause you can still see inside a little bit). He said tint is a reason to pull you over as a probable cause to check you out for another possible violation (like smoke pouring from the windows, saw you tipping a can/bottle, etc.). But in the end, you never know so do what you feel comfortable with.

G
#7 ·
They won't necessarily stop you for the tint but if they stop you for a primary offense, they may write you up for the secondary offense of illegal tint too.

That is, of course, if illegal tint is not a primary offense (like speeding, reckless driving, failure to observe a traffic control device, etc...) and the cop who sees you ain't having a bad day. :D

It's 35 here too but I have 20 on the front windows to match the rear windows.

#8 ·
I also got my tint darker than I should have by law, but dam does it look good when the front matches the back!

In the end you have do do what you are comfortable with. It's tough though looking around here and seeing some trucks with the matching tint. You know you shouldn't do it, but want to anyway.

#10 ·
I also live in Missouri, and on my last truck the tint shop said they would go as dark as I wanted, but they would not warranty it if it was darker than legally allowed. I ended up going with the legal tint to get the warranty. I have not yet tinted my Ram, but when I do, I will just go with the legal tint.

#23 ·
I would consider someone else to do my tint for your Ram in this case if this is what the shop is telling you. What do they mean they won't warranty the tint if they go darker than legally allowed? I understand the need for places who do the tint to tell you the limits allowed by law, but not covering their work because of that decision seems like a cop out to me by the shop. What does the darker tint have anything to do with the quality of the material or them standing behind their work? I understand they should inform you so you can make your own decision but not covering it under warranty because of that decision sounds like a shop I wouldn't want to do business with.

#12 ·
I put 20% over the back doors and back window but kept the front legal 35% that the dealer applied, the back windows are just colored glass from the factory and not tint like some people think. It is darker colored but has zero heat resistance or any other benefit besides looking darker than the clear glass.

#19 ·
I have 5% on my firebird and have never had a cop say anything about it. I'm gonna be putting 5% or 2.5% on the truck soon

How did you get 0%?

#43 ·
You have to put multiple layers of tint....
Regardless of how you achieved a 0% tint that would still mean that absolutely no light is passing through the window, which would mean that you would literally not be able to see through them. They would be opaque, as if you painted black paint over your window.

So unless you're sticking your head out the side window like Ace Ventura to drive I think you're a bit confused on your tint percent. :4-dontknow:

#15 ·
I matched the factory tint on my front two windows and have my windsheild completely tineted with 30%. Makes the truck a whole lot darker and looks real nice. Takes a little getting used to when you drive at night though.

#16 ·
By the way I live in NJ and any tint on the front windows is illegal but I have to agree the tint against my Deep Water Blue looks to good.

#17 ·
Canada:
Alberta: Highway Traffic Act
Window glazing

52 (1) Subject to this section, no person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the

(a) windshield glazing, or

(b) side window glazing that is beside or forward of the driver on the right and left hand side of the motor vehicle.

(2) No person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the rear window glazing unless the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right of the motor vehicle that comply with the requirements of section 53(2).

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not

(a) apply to the equivalent replacement of the glazing installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle,

(b) prohibit the use of clear untinted frost shields, or

(c) prohibit the use of window stickers as long as they do not impair the operator’s field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.

(4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall ensure that the view through all frost shields on the motor vehicle is not impaired by discoloration, scratches or other damage.

(5) No person shall place or install any material on or in place of any window glazing that, by reason of sunlight or the headlights of other vehicles, casts a glare at other vehicles on the highway.

(6) No person shall, after January 1, 1981 operate on a highway a motor vehicle that contains material that is prohibited by this section. RSA 1980 cH-7 s52

Windshield to be clear

126 No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway if the view through the windshield or windows is so obscured by mud, frost, steam or any other thing as to make the driving of the vehicle hazardous or dangerous. RSA 1980 cH-7 s126

-------------------------------------------

FYI for us Albertans.

Although I like the look of tint on a vehicle - and its benefits - I for one do not agree that the front windows on a vehicle should be tintable. Let alone a windshield. OMG.
I had tint on a previous car I owned ('89 Mustang 5.0L). I once got pulled over and was asked whether I knew the tinting, on the front windows, was illegal. I played dumb and said no. He wrote me a $25 ticket and went on my merry way. Shortly thereafter, I decided to remove the tint from the front windows. I felt it wasn't worth the battery of tickets I might receive.

I can understand why it's more of an issue - in hot, hot places like California, Arizona, Florida, etc.) In Canada we get around 3 days of hot weather. Seriously? No. But this year it feels like it. It's been cold and wet. Still waiting for summer to arrive. But seriously...I do understand the benefit if you live somewhere hot.

What I don't agree with is how dark some people choose to go. 5% or 10% IMHO is just way too dark on the front windows. If I can't see you then it becomes an issue. Put yourself in the shoes of law enforcement. They are likely more probable to have their hand on their gun-holster when they approach your driver's door. You really need to give that some thought!!

It's your vehicle. You have to endure the consequences of your actions. Just my 2 cents.

#18 ·
I live one Province over in SK and it is the same thing here. No tint on the front is legal. I used to have it on my last 2 vehicles and it isn't worth the headache and the attention as the police here look for it. I am leaving mine alone this time.

Side note - if you do have to remove tint the best way is with a clothes steamer. Takes the glue and tint off at once.

#21 ·
I have limo tint all the way around but went with the legal on the front windows, now however wish I would have gotten limo or the next shade lighter on the front windows even though it wouldn't have been legal. would make the truck look alot nicer. in my opinion. will prob go back eventually.

#22 ·
Think I'm redoing the Ram to match the 20% of my other rides. The dealer did it and they could only go with 35% and I was on a road trip through five states and short of time.

Different stores did the SRT and Titan so it must be the brand they used on the truck as it's a lot darker than the SRT.

I have been stopped in it and this lame thing has manual windows so I couldn't roll them down to hide them...plus it was November so I'm sure cops know that trick.

So now I have to undo the belt and lean over and roll down the window to talk to him as he comes to the passenger side and says he stopped me for doing 83 in a 70 which is slow on I-95 around Richmond.

He then proceeds to reach through the window to unlock the door, opens the door and starts rolling up the window. Then he pulls this device out much like this one below and says the tint is illegal.

Moral of the story....he let me slide on the speeding ticket but a $115 fine for equipment failure sucked big time. Sometimes I wish I lived in AZ, SC or FL as they still have the 27-30% rules like most states but they don't seem to care as every car has practically midnight black windows.

#24 ·
"He then proceeds to reach through the window to unlock the door, opens the door and starts rolling up the window. Then he pulls this device out much like this one below and says the tint is illegal."

It would be a cold day in hell that a cop reaches into my vehicle UNLOCKS IT and then tells me I have to pay a ticket. Then again, I usually do things the hard way when it comes to Team Bacon.

#25 ·
"He then proceeds to reach through the window to unlock the door, opens the door and starts rolling up the window. Then he pulls this device out much like this one below and says the tint is illegal."

It would be a cold day in hell that a cop reaches into my vehicle UNLOCKS IT and then tells me I have to pay a ticket. Then again, I usually do things the hard way when it comes to Team Bacon.
+1. Totally agree with the part in bold.

#27 ·
Well I have 20% on my fronts to match the back and love it. It's been over a year now with no tickets however I have heard on this forum that some places in Ontario members are getting ticketed. IMHO it's worth the risk, just hope my luck keeps up as I have trips to Brookville and Tobermory coming up this summer.

#33 ·
Here they are supposed to check your headlights and tint when you get your brake tag, but no one cares. I went to get a new brake tag and he said "I cannot issue you a new tag because of the illegal tint on the windows along with an illegal visor. Also your headlights are not legal.... Nah I'm just messin with ya little man. Beautiful truck you got there." hahahah

#29 ·
legal avoids drama. I can also tell you I will never put any tint over the back factory tinted glass again....couldn't see a damn thing backing up.

I've know a lot of cops, and generally they wont ticket you for this unless you are giving them attitude. I always roll down my windows and turn on the cab light(night) when I get pulled over. Between that and being polite...it has worked many, many times.
Cops don't like walking up on blacked out vehicles, especially at night. These folks are just doing their job...a job that I wouldn't necessarily want to do, so why give them sh*t when they pull you over. And yes, I've experienced the bad cops too, but they are few and far between from my experience.
Talking slower, 'country' if you will, also seems to lighten the encounter for me.
"Yes-sur, No, Sir. Thhank ya, Sir."

#34 ·
I have a deep water Blue truck and I went with 35 on the front. The mismatch doesn't really stand out and it's a hell of a lot better than the way the truck came from the factory. I was also told the by shop that they would do darker than legal but they wouldn't warranty it.

#35 ·
In all honesty anything darker than 50% is good, however that can still be illegal.

On another note, in Wisconsin, our limit is 50% on the front. With one exception, if you have a prescription from a Dr. of some kind. I happen to have a friend married to one and he tested me for sensitivity to light. Turns out I am very sensitive :D so much he recommended I tint the windows on my car. I just carry that prescription in my glove box and I'm good to go.

That still does not mean they can't pull me over and if I'm in another state/country I could still fall victim to local laws.

#36 ·
I've know a lot of cops, and generally they wont ticket you for this unless you are giving them attitude. I always roll down my windows and turn on the cab light(night) when I get pulled over. Between that and being polite...it has worked many, many times.
Cops don't like walking up on blacked out vehicles, especially at night. These folks are just doing their job...a job that I wouldn't necessarily want to do, so why give them sh*t when they pull you over. And yes, I've experienced the bad cops too, but they are few and far between from my experience.
Talking slower, 'country' if you will, also seems to lighten the encounter for me.
"Yes-sur, No, Sir. Thhank ya, Sir."
^^ I couldn't agree more. I've been pulled over for speeding about a dozen times in the last 4 years and got 1 ticket. I usually go somewhere between 5-15mph over, and the time I got the ticket I just wasn't paying attention on a side road and was going like 60 in a 35, so I definitely deserved it. My being pulled over procedure: Pull off where it is safe, away from traffic, shut car off, put both hands on top of steering wheel, tell them what your doing before you do it, example: when they ask you for your license, tell them its in your wallet and let them tell you to get it, they don't like when you just start reaching for things they cant see. They appreciate this stuff, it makes them feel alot safer. My uncle is an officer, he told me all of the above.

#37 ·
I live in MO, and my wife just got my windows tinted for me for my birthday. I was going back and forth on matching the rears or going legal. She opted for legal, and I am glad she did. The cops in Independence are sticklers for this. While they won't likely pull you over for it on its own, you won't get out of it if they stop you for anything else.

Here is a pic of what it looks like. Inside, you can't tell a difference, but it stays a lot cooler now. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#38 ·
I know in NJ some cops can be real jerks about it. I've been pulled over a few times for it in different vehicles but never cited. I've had 20% on all of my cars since 03 all around and wouldn't have it any other way.

#42 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.