DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Interior Glass cleaner?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Castor Troy 
#1 ·
I have just fixed my heater core and I cannot seem to get the residue off the interior windows! I have used Windex with ammonia, and Stoner Invisible Glass with no success,:4-dontknow: it just seems to smear the residue around the windshield. Any suggestions?

#3 · (Edited)
what are you using as a towel? sometimes that makes all the difference too.

i also found these helpful tips. kind of goes into what i mean t about the towel your using to clean the glass...

Plenty of Towels
The most important thing you can do to avoid streaks and smears when cleaning glass is to use plenty of clean wiping cloths and after making the initial wipe over a window or a section of a window, either turn or fold to a fresh clean side or switch to a clean, dry, unused wiping cloth to continue.

It doesn't take much to leave a smear on glass so your job is once you remove the majority of whatever was on the glass to start with to get that wiping cloth out of the equation and switch to a new, clean wiping cloth for your final wipe. Then after using the secondary or even third wiping cloth on a single window, set it aside and start on the next window with another clean, dry wiping cloth.

Glass Cleaners
Most glass cleaners work really well, especially if the name on the label has a good reputation to start with.

Glass Towels
Most quality microfiber towels and dedicated glass wiping towels also work really well.

Cross-contamination the true culprit
The culprit is re-introducing whatever it is you removed off the glass back onto the glass.

Tips and Techniques - 3 Wipes for streak-free glass

1st Wipe
The first wipe is to remove the majority of any Vinyl Fog, Smokers Film, Fingerprints, Smudges and Smears. After you make the first wipe, take the towel now holding any residues previously on the glass and place it in your laundry bag or bin as it is no longer useful for cleaning glass.

2nd Wipe
The second wipe is to further remove any trace residues left behind by the first wipe, these will show up as smears on the glass. Use a clean, dry wiping cloth together with a quality glass cleaner. After this wipe the glass should be about 90% clear and streak-free or better.

3rd Wipe
For the third and final wipe, switch to ather clean microfiber towel. After making your initial wipes for the inside of the windshield using a clean, dry glass cleaning towel, switch to a clean dry towel for a second wipe. After your initial wipe and follow-up wipe using clean, dry un-contaminated cleaning towels you're now ready for the "Final Wipe".

Mist a little glass cleaner onto a clean, microfiber towel, this should be a very light amount of glass cleaner.

Jeff

Reactions: Hermes1
#4 ·
I have just fixed my heater core and I cannot seem to get the residue off the interior windows! I have used Windex with ammonia, and Stoner Invisible Glass with no success,:4-dontknow: it just seems to smear the residue around the windshield. Any suggestions?
This was a major issue for me as well! I found Primo's thread here. I purchased the Sprayway glass cleaner from eBay (link) and the microfiber madness towel from CarPro (link).

I must tell you that these two products together are a dream come true! I smoke in my truck so that adds a very thin film to the interior glass that is difficult to get rid of. I also recently had my two front windows tinted as well as a tint eyebrow applied to the windshield. The install guys did a great job but they seemed to overlook all the streaks they left behind.

The combination of the Sprayway and the MF towel worked wonders! I had tried the newspaper trick, the Stoner Invisible Glass and even good ole Windex and nothing would completely remove all visible streaks. But the Sprayway did! And the MF towel didn't leave any lint behind. Perfect and very highly recommended!

Here is a snippet from Primo's thread.. though I highly suggest reading the thread in its entirety as there are some other wonderful products mentioned (most I have purchased and know to work wonders).

The perfect solution to your interior glass cleaning needs, is the duo of Sprayway Glass Cleaner and the Microfiber Madness Cloudbuster Glass Cleaning Towel. Sprayway’s heavy-duty cleaning action, is achieved without ammonia, so it is aftermarket tint safe, and it’s foaming action clings and dries quickly with no residue or streaking, especially when paired with the Microfiber Madness Cloudbuster Glass Cleaning Towel which features a special waffle weave pattern, that utilizes a more aggressive fiber than others to remove stubborn spots, built up grime, and anything else cloudy looking glass might throw at you.

Start your window cleaning with the driver’s door and front passenger door. If your door has a window frame, lower the window approximately one inch to allow access to the top part of the glass. This part should be cleaned and dried first. Spray with glass cleaner and buff dry. Now roll the window back up and clean the remainder of the window. Pay attention to the corner of the windows, as this is where you will get most smears and streaks. Don’t forget your driver’s side and passenger side mirrors.

While you’re sitting down in the passenger’s seat, clean the inside of the windshield. The inside of the windshield is easier to clean from the passenger’s side as your access is not obstructed by the steering wheel. Take your time around the rearview mirror as it is only glued to your windshield. If you bump into the rearview mirror hard enough or at the right angle, you can break it loose from the glass.

#8 ·
I'll have to try the Sprayway. (Thanks for the link, Kai!) I use 3M glass cleaner w/ pretty good results, but I have to go back over it a lot to get all the streaks off. Nothing crazy, maybe just an extra 5 minutes or so, but the Sprayway sounds like it is worth a try.

#9 ·
You are welcome, Paul! I sprayed it on, let it foam then (using the cloud buster towel) wiped it off.. think 'wax on, wax off' lol! Very cool how I didn't have to go over it again, like you say you do now. I've always done it that way in the past and still found streaks in that perfect angle of sunlight, you know?

Oh.. and that link is for multiple cans.. be sure to give Gabi one or two! I just did the interior and exterior of my house windows and.. holy mother of clean! :SHOCKED:I caught myself singing 'I can see clearly now the streaks are gone..' :LOL: Very useful stuff and certainly worth it to buy multiple cans as it has multiple uses! :) (I am attacking the glass shelves in my refrigerator next!!) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.