DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cold Weather Hiccup

4K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  therock2086 
#1 ·
Yesterday it was -34C and I wanted to have a nice warm truck before heading out of the driveway but when I started the truck it struggled and stalled. Second attempt it was running but not as smooth as it should. All kinds of warning lights were letting me know it didn't like this. I had a service 4x4 light along with a ETC light, ESP-BAS, ABS, airbag, and seatbelt light, even the odometer message only displayed C. I let it run for a minute with all of this before shutting it down. On my third attempt everything was normal and i was soon on my way. Needless to say I'll be plugging in the block heater in weather colder than -20 from now on. Makes me wonder if Dodge does any cold weather testing on their trucks as the block heater isn't a standard option.

Disappointed to see my neighbor start his 1990 POS minivan no problem next to me with no block heater.

#3 ·
I agree with RamTech. It got cold recently and we hit -30°F a few times and had no issues with the truck.

#6 ·
Water or condensation in the tank causing problems with the computer?? I had mine running at -30C, no problem, except the service 4WD light that came on down the road and has yet to return, but I plugged it in for an hour before starting it.

#7 ·
That was your truck saying "the block heater cord isn't just for looks". I plug mine in at anything under -15C and it has reached -45C this winter with no problems starting. It's kinda hard to fault Dodge for cold weather starts when you don't use the block heater.

#8 ·
I had the same issue last week in -35c temp. I forgot to plug it in and it wouldnt start. I thought I could cheat and boost it but even then it would crank a bit faster but wouldn't fire up. I checked the dipstick and the oil was thicker then molasse. Plugged it in for a couple hours and then I got it going fairly easily after what sounded like a few backfires while cranking.

Looking back I wish I hadn't forgotten and wasn't so stubborn trying to get it going against it's will. Aside from some wear and tear on the starter could I have damaged anything trying to crank it unsuccessfully 4 times over 30mins? Any change that would damage or reduce my spark plugs life or anything else? Is it possible to flood a modern efi engine if you try too hard?

I changed the oil shortly afterwards and the check engine light isn't on

#9 ·
Ok Ok slap my hands too but I haven't plugged my truck in yet this year...we have gone far below -30C and I haven't had a problem. But today it was a balmy +2 YUP that's right folks, Winterpeg got a break...But it rained so the roads are slick...but hey I only have to wear a sweater IT"S AWESOME!!!
Like I said I haven't plugged the truck in yet this year and I haven't had a problem with it at all.

#12 ·
Wow I'm sorry to hear all you guys with problems. I actually put my truck in storage in the middle of November and just started it for the first time this past weekend. We haven't had a day above about 25F for the past month and many nights down close to 0F and I just hit the remote start and it fired up just like it did all summer. It was probably about 5 or 6F when I started it. This was with no block heater and not charging the battery since I put it away. It sounds like their is definatly something wrong with these trucks that have trouble when its cold. Just figured I would add my .02.

#13 ·
Always best to plug your truck in for a couple hours especially if it gets -30°F (-34°C) or colder.

As a rule of thumb typically I plug in a timer when it hits -10°F or colder. Set it to turn on 2hrs prior to my leaving for work. This way the vehicle is somewhat thawed

Now this winter I have not plugged in my truck due to not re-routing the plug as of yet (I hate having scratch marks on my head lights) and it has started like a champ even through the cold snaps.

#14 ·
i think the coldest the coolant temp sensor can read is -40F.....coolant temp is the main thing looked at on a cold start.....

-40F is pretty much industry standard......

#15 ·
Ramtech as usual is giving you some very good advice there! We have had more -35C days than normal for Jan and I still have not pulled my cord out from under the hood (its just so unsightly lol) I use my remote start every day, I look at it as gods gift to the lazy man (and woman) that and remote heated seats, my wife is so jealous

#16 ·
Good god........well, this was discussed already,anyway, I am glad I don't depend on anyone to take care of my vehicle , but the long term damage your causing your engine is brutal people, it's called a block-heater!! The soul purpose if for any reason is it thins your oil because it's warm, leave a container of your 5w20 outside on your porch overnight when it gets down to or below -30c and then the next morning, tip it upside down and try pouring it out! How long is it taking your oil pump to push oil to the top of your engine,trust me, just because your truck starts, not plugging in is nothing to brag about. Sorry, it just bothers me that people will spend 30 or 40 grand on a truck and then torcher it! Block-heaters are wonderful things! Rant over.

#17 ·
Well block heater is more directed at the water jacket/coolant, though some residual heat will warm the oil pan somewhat.. the best way is block heater and one of them stick'em oil pan heaters, that way you get good oil pressure from get go and a somewhat warm engine from turn of the key!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.