DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Debadge /Plasti-dip / Weathertech Mud Flaps

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DrCrash 
#1 ·
I de-badged the tailgate and doors today. Took a lot longer than I had anticipated as the base adhesive backing was like cement. 1/2 a bottle of Goo Gone and a lot of rubbing. Probably a solid 3hrs to get everything off.

I also plasti-dipped the Ram on the tailgate but had to strip it after the photo was taken. I managed to peel off a little bit when I removed the tape and masking paper. I'll redo next weekend if the weather is nice. So I guess this doesn't really count as a mod just yet, maybe a mod-preview.

Lastly, I added the Weathertech Mud Flaps. Prior to attaching them I used 3M Paint Protectant Film anywhere the flap came in contact with paint. Without doing that the flaps would have been a 15 minute job. Custom fitting the film added 45 minutes to the job.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just debadge mine this weekend also. Took 45 minutes tops, if you pull the backing towards you it lifts right off & leaves nothing behind.[/

The backing on the letters came off easy enough but it was the underlying adhesive residue that caused me a headache. I've use MEK to lift adhesive residue before but I didn't want to use it on the truck as I have no clue as to what it would do to the clearcoat.

#4 ·
FWIW, buying an eraser wheel to attach to your drill is the best $10 investment I ever made. It's literally a big eraser that wont burn through clearcoat and it removes the adhesive from the paint at about 1 minute per side. Then just wipe away the little balls that collect like an eraser on a pencil would have and voila. I've debadged enough at this point to have saved countless hours and layers of skin on my thumb.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip on the eraser wheel. I could have used it this weekend and saved my thumbs. I'm pretty much done debadging the truck unless I remove the Hemi logo's (contemplating some custom ones instead of factory). I'll grab a wheel and put it in the tool kit for later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.