DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Could use some help with OD

699 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AJ1500 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can answer a couple questions that might help me find a problem I'm having with my 1500

The problem is the OD won't turn off, nothing happens when you hit the button on the shifter, BUT sometimes and there is no reason for it the off light will flicker on the dash, it could happen while still in park or as soon as you put it in drive or going down the road. It does NOT effect the trans at all, the llight just flickers

Now a quick history, I repaired quite a few wiring issues that was cooking PCM's a while back, Thanks to some good advise and suggestions I got here it seems that is all behind me now, however the OD issue was and still exist since we bought the truck. This issue has never changed

OK question 1 can I remove the button at the end of the shifter without destroying it, then other than broke wires what can I check/test

2 does anyone know what wires feed the OD throught the harness so maybe a could do a continuity test on it
or know the voltage I should be looking for

#4 ·
Well I got the OD issue repaired and thought I would share what I found

First I found there is a small slot on the outer ring of the shifter at the button, you can remove this ring with a small screwdriver, then you can push the wiring from the bottom of the colomb(once cover is removed) and pull the button out

Of coarse I found this out after accidently pulling the shifter end off and pulling the wires loose from the button, it is possible that one of the wires was already loose
this would explain the flickering of the OD light in the dash

what I did first was to inspect the wiring at the pivot point, everything looked good there, so I unplugged the plug on the steering colomb and using a test wire I made a momentary switch there, after determining the OD works I then repaired the wiring at the plug for the button and hooked it all back up

It still didn't work so at this point I thought I had nothing to loose so I opened up the OD button, inside is a small circuit card and a rubber bushing with a brass button to make the contact on the card
both were glazed, so I took a pencil eraser and cleaned them and reinstalled

Now the OD turns off and back on on demand

Thanks for the help and I hope my findings will help someone with the same problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.