DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Interior LED Install HELP

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Vertigo Performance 
#1 ·
So all the instructions that I've read so far say to pop off the lens cover and pull the bulb out. The 2013's have the chrome plate in there and the plastic housing that has the bulb behind it. Do I need to remove the entire overhead assembly to get behind the chrome plate and housing to get to the bulb? I don't wanna pop stuff off and risk breaking it if I don't have to. Thank you!!

#2 ·
And I tried the map light tonight, same issue. The bulb is encased within another lense which also has a chrome plastic piece completely filling up the area behind the lense cover. It isn't obvious how to get to the bulb. Any insight out there?

#4 ·
08 - Electrical/8L - Lamps and Lighting/Lamps/Lighting - Interior/LAMP, Reading/Removal

REMOVAL

NOTE:On vehicles equipped with an optional overhead console the standard front dome lamp is replaced by two combination dome and reading lamps that are integral to the console housing. Each of these lamps is controlled by the door ajar switches on the courtesy lamp circuit, but also are independently controlled by a switch that is activated by depressing the lamp lens. The bulb types and service procedures are identical for both of these lamps.

NOTE:The overhead console reading lamp switches and bulb holders are serviced as a unit with the overhead console wire harness.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Using a small thin-bladed screwdriver, gently pry near the front of the lamp lens between each side and the overhead console housing (1) to unsnap the pivot tabs (3) on the lens from the pivots in the lamp housing.
  3. With the lens disengaged from both pivots, pull the lens forward far enough to disengage the switch tab (2) on the rear edge of the lens from the slot in the rear of the overhead console lamp housing.
  4. Remove the lens from the housing.

5. Firmly grasp the bulb (1) and pull it straight out of the socket.

#5 · (Edited)
I think that ended in 2012. The bulb is now contained in yet another housing past the initial lenses. That's the one I'm having problems with. I can see the bulb but there's no way to get to it thru the little opening that's available. I have now seen enough (just tried again) to know I ordered the wrong bulb for this new-fangled system or at least the ones I ordered seem a little bigger. The rear light is very similar and will probably need the exact same dis-assembly.

Here is a pic. The right side has the lens off and this is what's past it. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

#7 ·
Wow, that kind of surprises me. So does that mean that if I take it to the dealership they probably won't know either? If so, I guess I could just bump this thread in a few months and see if anyone has figured it out yet. I'm in no hurry to break something. Lol.

#8 ·
Bump. Still looking if anyone has any info.

#9 ·
Bump. Still looking if anyone has any info.
Another bump. Hopefully someone will eventually see this that has some info. Everytime I see those blue lights in my girlfriend's Challenger I get jealous. :Wow1:

#11 ·
#12 ·
i as well am having issues, i tried to remove the first plastivc cover,,, the one you push to turn the light on ond off,,, upon re installing it i must have moved the button it hits,,, now my light wont turn on. im currently looking for instructions on how to remove the over head consol itself,,,, all i have found is,,,, pull id off haha,,,, i dont want to break it....

#13 ·
I recently installed LEDs for my two map lights and rear dome light. I followed these instructions; the only difficult part is removing the bulb itself. I did not take out the chrome reflective piece that hides the socket. I used a pair of pliers and I put duct tape on them and gently grasped the bulb and pulled it out. I also made sure the bulbs that I replaced them with were not over-sized. Everything looks and works great!

Map Lights:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dodge-Ram-1500-Map-Light-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/

Dome light was very easy. The cover pops off and the bulb just pops out as well.

Dome Light:
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dodge-Ram-1500-Rear-Passenger-Dome-Light-Bulb-Replacement-Guide/

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
I'm having the exact issue with my 2014. From what I say, there is no way to get to the bulb itself, since the chrome plate underneath has no opening to it unless completely removed. Would you mind explaining how you got to the bulb without removing the chrome piece?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.