DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Smoked tail lights!!! [Video and pics]

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MrCantu 
#1 ·
Hey guys so today I decided to black out my tail lights, but they don't look good :(, I bought a cheap paint and as they say "you get what you pay for," here are the results: From far away they look ok because one of them is OEM and another one is aftermarket, and by that I mean they are made of different material, so the right one looks better (OEM).

How could I get rid of that paint? Wet sand it? it has 3 coats!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqXgYCWslA4

See less See more
#2 ·
They look pretty good from what the pics show. the whole you get what you pay for is true though. If you go to a tint shop and do it you'll pay a lot more. Or if you go to a paint shop and get them to do it with better paint it's still more expensive.

I think the "cheap" spray is good enough. It still gives a unique look which adds to any vehicle, sets you off from the crowd and turns heads. Has other ram owners you drive past wishing they had that too haha

#3 ·
Yeah you're right.

Actually yes, I go to this audio and video car shop, every weekend since some really cool looking cars and trucks show up, and yeah they asked me if I did them myself so yeah I told the truth and sure enough there were a couple of guys willing to try do them too.

#5 ·
Thats a good feeling when people want what you did. I like it personaly haha.

Well good work man! I'm gunna do my brakelights soon. I did my third brake light already. I'm gunna get some Recon LED lights in the brake lights, The 360 degree LEDs. I want them dark but it's illegal here so i wanna make sure they ar evisible haha

#9 · (Edited)
:LOL:

look good to me
Thanks bud

I don't really see anything wrong with it. What don't you like about it?

Which paint did you use?
Was it something like VHT?
One looks brighter than the other one, but I guess it's because the difference in material from which they were made. And it has a matte look to it instead of glossy!!! :(

No VHT it's the good stuff!!! I used rust oleum lens tint!

Well, as you seemed to hide the driverside tailight we can't really compare it. If you really want to remove it you can use a sparing amount of acetone, or just sand it down.
Well let's hope a cop doesn't stop me! :158:

#6 ·
i think it turned out good, but i don't know how to remove it

#10 ·
I've been searching for info on tinting the head/tail lights before I decide to do it and I read that you can't leave the VHT (don't know about rustoleum) without a clear coat. They say that it will fade or turn chalky.

If you try to remove it with acetone, be really careful because acetone will melt the plastic. So like CD said, very very little. Or you could wet sand it down.

I don't know if you want to do it all over again but I searched and these guys (non ram owners) had great looking results.

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/...76-how-to-vht-headlights-and-tail-lights.html

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/tinting_vht_niteshade_imron.html

#12 ·
Cantu, i used the rust oleum as well. i think yours look great and i like the way my turned out as well. i redid mine twice. i have one of those mighty mouse power sander things and with little pressure, the lens tint came right off. after i resanded and sprayed the second time, they came out a lot better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.