DODGE RAM FORUM banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECO boost = eco burst!!

10K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
Coming home on the interstate bout 2am decided to play around in my truck. My exit was coming up and my padna said what mileage you get at 100mpg??? To my suprise my cruise control actualy set at that speed! Better yet i got 12.9mpg at 100mph lol.

During that i saw headlights from the only vehicle i passed not falling back. So i slowed down to take the exit he followed. Got to the next redlight it was a young kid in an eco boost f-150 CC. He yelled go on green and so we took off. I had his front tires at my back door. At about 60... I hear boom and screaching and when i looked i saw white smoke all around his truck on the side of the road.

Beeing nice i made a circle to make sure he was ok. When i approached all i saw was a huge oil streak with a little debris and him on the shoulder with the hoood up and smoked out... Lol

From what i saw, he had a gaping hole on the right side of the block and the "tiny" turbo seem to be deformed lol i said man, you need to call a wrecker cause your truck is going in for an engine swap lol

#3 ·
Poor kid! Damn nice of you to go back for the rescue though! I always stop and help Ford owners broken down on the road.

#4 ·
Wow! I don't think that's a common thing to happen. The saving grace, it's during the warranty period. The bad part, the computer will have logged all the events prior to the destruction, and he may have some explaining to do at the dealer. Hope he doesn't get hassled too much. I doubt the EcoBoost is an inexpensive engine to replace. :str:

#5 ·
Wow is right, poor guy, I feel bad for him, too and agree, mighty nice of ya to turn around and make sure he was ok even if his truck wasn't! Still counts as a kill, though, even if a bit literally! :smileup:

- Cajun

#7 ·
I am not brand loyal-so I have no doubt some of you will be insulted...I don't care

I have owned several Rams and even more Fords---
on one of my trips to the dealer (free oil change I got with a new vehicle purchase)--well I was about 100 miles into that oil change, towing about 4000# of trailer and load traveling about 75 mph---I hear this clunk under the truck and hadn't seen anything in the road---I look in the mirror and see something white tumbling down and off the road....It takes me about 3 seconds to click in my head (oil filter) I look down and sure enough non oil pressure and a big red light glowing at me....by the time I shut off the truck and coasted over to the side of the road, it surely had been running oiless for atleast 5 seconds with a substantial load. I walk all the way back there, find the filter and the o-ring...brush off as much sand as I can-crawl under and put it on the truck (Off ramp about 1/2 mile up the road with a gas station) I decide what more damage could I do-worst case scenario it blows up and I take the filter back off and blame the ford tech............I get to the station, no oil pressure the whole way, add 4 quarts of oil, start the truck and it seems to run fine-I ran that truck for another 80,000 miles beforing buying another and never had an issue.
That I would call built ford tough.

Of course I wouldn't go out and test this on purpose- because you know no oil has to have some good affect on engine life, but just saying this one still ran great and had no issues for over 80,000 miles after that.

So the die hards can bash on Ford all they want---I could pick out more problems with the dodges that I have owned than the fords that I have owned, just saying.......there is 2 sides to every coin

#12 ·
"i just dont think a vehicle can be gauged on how long it can run without oil pressure. "

Nor do I ...I simply used the "built ford tough" statement since that is there advertising campaign.

I know full well that had to of been some damage-but apparently less than I figured there would be. ONe of my daughters friends was coming hom from Superior Wisc, about 170 miles....her oil light came on north of Hinkley, she was coming over the hill and could see the exit (I would say it is less than 1/2 mile and all downhill)-she thought she could make it to the gas station there and see (lights and all) if she could add oil or what.....the engine blew up at the bottom of the ramp, scattering engine bits all the way up the ramp....it was some gm product, not sure which--some economy box POS 4 cyl......I went with my trailer and picked them all up and the car too it was quite the sight of catastrophic destruction---so yes I feel I was lucky to have been able to continue driving the truck for 80,000+ miles more after that happened---but still there had to be some amount of "quality" build in allowing the engine to continue on oil less....perhaps the design is such that there is so much residual, perhaps the oil pressure sensor is early in the system and while I lost pressure, the components were still fully covered in oil...who knows but I do know it still ran and ran well.......I am sure somewhere there is some dodge person with a similar story---I just happen to be in a Ford at the time...

#13 ·
Glad I didn't go with the eco-boom engine! I considered ford. I just know in my work truck (07 F250 with a 6.4 power choke) I have 125k and 4 turbo's 3 Ypipes at the turbo and 5 EGR valves already changed on it! I damn sure didn't want another ford with a turbo!

#17 ·
Wait wait now... Ford has built great engines in the past! So have mopar and gm im not downing that! Lol. But i do beleive that eco=explosion will have more issues before it reaches that status if it ever does. I mean look at that 6.0 deisel they had lol and another thing, why not stick with that works and improve on that??? Like the 7.3L powerstroke they had for years. Or the new gas engines... What was so bad about the 5.4 that lasted so well to some people? Now they have a 3.5L TT a 5.0 and 6.2. Why not put the 6.2 in a truck and brag about it beeing fast? Not a tt v6. It sounds like a rice truck lol

Oh yeah btw that I6 was practically indestructable. Id love to have one in a mid size 4x4 geared low as hel with some 35" boggers lol

#18 ·
IMO ford doesn't do forced induction very well. Any of their super or turbo charged factory engines had issues (diesels, F150 lightnings, mustangs, tbirds, etc...). I think between all the manufacturers GM has forced induction down the best, they have had many vehicles turbo and supercharged with success (grand prix gtp's, the old buick grand nationals, new zr1 corvette making like 640hp, cobalt SS turbo and supercharged models, and many many more...)

#21 ·
Ford did OK with their boosted offerings in the gas arena (SVT stuff, SVO Mustang, Turbo Tbird, etc) and their diesel offerings to the 7.3 have been rock solid.

The problems IMO are of the user nature- the owner figures that if factory boost is good, more MUST be better. Boost is a great drug, and its relatively easy (especially on a turbo) to boost an engine to destruction. I'll bet the Eco-Boost owner put some sort of restriction in the wastegate circuit to increase the boost without compensating for additional fuel.

BTW, the same calamity can (and did) happen to GM products, as well as the old Shelby Omni GLHS, Chargers, Spirit R/Ts and turbo minivans.

#19 ·
those eco-boost trucks are a great idea, but being in the automotive field, ive seen their problems...the turbos "coke" up and pretty much destroy themselves, plus they only get "22mpg" (thats what they say) so...i really didnt think those trucks would last long anyway, i mean it's a 5,000lbs+ truck meant to haul load....but with a boosted V6? come on....

#20 ·
^ Well I think many people have a misconception. Boosted engines produce a lot of torque, so it really does make sense to put a boosted 6 in the truck over a v8, that engine has more torque at any rpm than the hemi, for example. I thought they claimed 24mpg hwy, though people don't seem to be getting that. Either way, IMO it's a great engine, great torque and hp, and great mpg whether it gets what it's rated for or not, but who knows about durability, and plus it's in one of the ugliest and worst truck available...lol

#23 · (Edited)
...that engine has more torque at any rpm than the hemi, for example.
Wow, that's a bold statement especially on a Ram forum. :box2:

Seriously though, I'd really like to see the numbers on this, because I find it hard to accept that, at say 1500-2000 rpm (prime initial load moving rpms) the turbo has spooled up enough for a gas V6 to out-torque a Hemi V8 (a diesel, yes - a gas V6, no). If it does make it's power down low, then it's got to be out of steam for the higher rpms. Remember, I'm also a CTD owner who tows +10,000lbs so I know about boost, torque and rpm ranges. For example, my 03 Hemi would smoke the tires from a dead idle when flatfooted, then hook after a couple of truck lengths. If I flatfoot my Cummins from a dead idle (same size tires and gearing), it rolls out for about a truck length or so before the boost comes in and then it destroys the tires (my 2011 Hemi has different size tires and gearing so it's not an apples to apples comparison). The Hemi then makes more torque again from 3100-5600 rpm since the CTD redlines at 3100 rpm and therefore makes no torque in that range.

#24 ·
Wow, that's a bold statement especially on a Ram forum.
LOL well I'm just being honest....everyone knows I'd take the ram over the ford (I did), and I'd take the hemi over the ecoboost because I think it's more reliable, and they are near equal power wise and torque wise.

I've looked it up before and can't comment much below 2,000 rpm because almost no dyno's are recorded at that low of rpm, but if I remember correctly it made peak torque at like 2,200 rpm (like 420lb ft) and it was over 400 lb ft from like 1,800 rpm to 5,500 rpm. Pretty impressive, and it is more than the hemi at any rpm (don't know about below 1,800 rpm, but I'd bet it's more, or about equal at the least). I understand and agree what you are saying about spooling the turbos, but just say it doesn't make good torque until 1,500 rpm, and the hemi does.....if there's a 1,500 to 2,000 rpm stall converter, it doesn't matter anyway.

#32 ·
Reread it again. It's not hard to believe at all. The cummins pulls to a little over 3k, then is rpm limited by the software. The hemi is limited at about 5600 rpm. Between the 3k or so the cummins pulls hard to and the 5600 the hemi pulls to, the hemi makes more torque (and power).

Now, what does this actually MEAN in real life? Pretty much nothing-it's a given that one engine will make more torque than another at high rpm if the other engine is rpm limited. That's why the transmission in the cummins truck will shift, then the diesel will proceed to make more torque than the hemi again. But yes, his statement is absolutely correct.

#28 ·
The thing thats crazy about the whole thing to me is this...
Ford brings the 5.0 back as their new motor to replace the 5.4 (which I think is a good thing), and they allow the 6.2liter in the F150 for the owners that want the big block under the hood. THEN they roll out this eco-boost V-6 thats pretty much cuts the feet out from under the NEW 5.0 . Can you imagine how good they'd be selling if they'd made a dual turbo'd 5.0... Like I said before, you keep your eco-boost, I'll keep my dignity...

#31 ·
With any kind of boost vs non boost, or any kind of product for that matter.

More complicated = more sh!t to go wrong :) I like the idea but I'd wait a few years for Ford to work out the issues if I were to buy.

If Ford stopped selling the 5.0 I think they'd lose market share as there are alot of people that would not buy the V6 or the big block. Plus with the new EPA rules manufactures are required to hit avg mpg over all their lines.

Oh, and, good kill :p

#33 ·
Reread it again. It's not hard to believe at all. The cummins pulls to a little over 3k, then is rpm limited by the software. The hemi is limited at about 5600 rpm. Between the 3k or so the cummins pulls hard to and the 5600 the hemi pulls to, the hemi makes more torque (and power).

Now, what does this actually MEAN in real life? Pretty much nothing-it's a given that one engine will make more torque than another at high rpm if the other engine is rpm limited. That's why the transmission in the cummins truck will shift, then the diesel will proceed to make more torque than the hemi again. But yes, his statement is absolutely correct.
Not trying to be a jerk but your sentences are hard to follow, I'm not sure of what you are trying to say in some of your post. I did reread it though and I see he said the hemi produces more torque above 3,100 rpm (where the cummins doesn't operate), and yes that is correct, I must have just read the first part of the sentence originally. My point was that the CTD makes more torque at any rpm (that it operates at) than the hemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.