DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to waterproof ones truck.

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  justbilly 
#1 ·
What do yall think would be a good way to start water proofing? Where are the vents for the differentials transmission engine oil ect? I mean if you are full on water fording and getting it, whats the best way to not go dead in the water (literally)? Is a snorkel good for extending you air intake above the hood of the truck? What about exhaust? Whats a good way to make sure the exhaust doesn't drown? Anyone input would be appreciated, and yes I am dead serious.

#2 ·
A snorkel is a good way to keep you from getting water in your engine, your trans and diff vents need to be extended to the roofline (you can run them along the frame rails and then up in between the truck bed and cab.

The exhaust isnt as big of a deal, stacks are not needed unless you shut the engine off or it stalls.

The problem you are going to run into after all of that is 2fold.

1-electronics. There is really no way to effectively waterproof the fuse box and TIPM under the hood, unless you silicone it shut...and even then...its a shot in the dark with no way to test it until its submerged. Nevermind the interiors electronics in the dash, the ECU and Trans computer will also have to be waterproofed. On dedicated off-roaders this is usually done by encasing the computer modules in steel boxes, with RTV around the hole where the wiring harness goes through.

2. Interior. If you get water more than halfway up your doors, its going to start pouring into your interior through the pressure vents for the airbag systems (behind the rear seats on the cab wall, and on the bottom of the firewall behind the dash.

3. If you have in floor storage, water is gonna pour in through the bins in the rear floor.

With that said, I have had my truck submerged in water to the point I had a water line across the middle of the tailgate, right across the Ram Head badge, and I have never had an issue, but I wouldnt DARE go any deeper than that. Walk through the water, and if its deeper than waist deep (and you are stock height) dont touch it. Make it chest deep if you have a 4" lift or higher.

finally, be ready to change your fluids alot. if you cover your engine, water can get into the engine oil cap (doesnt always happen, but it can) the PCV system, and also into the power steering and braking systems through the reservoir caps.

Again, I will reiterate, your biggest enemy is going to be getting water into your interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.