DODGE RAM FORUM banner

ordered 17x9 -12mm with 285/70R17 BFG Rugged Terrain

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  bane1240 
#1 ·
:Hey:Going on a white 10 Dodge Ram Crew 1500 4x4 with a 2.5" HB level. Debated a long time over spending more money on just 20" replacement tires I wanted for my Laramie chromes than this whole set with sensors ready to bolt on. Found a great deal so went ahead and will have 2 sets of wheels to swap around. Maybe put the stock chrome back on for summer. The new wheels are atx justice with a machined and black surface and not my 1st choice of style but at a closeout price of :wow:$72 per rim, well, maybe I will like them better in person that in photos. They should be delivered by this next weekend and I will bolt them up and post pictures and pass on my thoughts as I get some miles on them.

Not my truck but a photo of the new Tire offering from BFG

Not my truck but photo of Dodge with the Justice rim, looks like a 20" mine will be 17"

See less See more
#4 ·
Bolted them up today. So far the ride is nice! Very smooth and quiet on todays dry pavement. Wow does having more rubber between me and the road give much nicer ride than the harshness of the 20" rim vrs this 17". I tried to feel more tire roll but so far not a problem but the stock Good Years seems pretty "squishy" feeling. The tires look nice.

#8 ·
Thanks! :smileup:

I got the set from Tirerack.com. They have about 4.5" of backspacing. I have watched that wheel for a while, cuz I'm cheap :i_rolleyes:... and almost got the 18" for $112 (which is a good price too) because they were sold out of the 17" rim. Last week I just happened to look online and they had some 17's in stock for $72 :SHOCKED: I couldn't pass them up! I see now that they only have the 18's listed again. One might put a phone call in to check to see if they had anymore 17's somewhere if they were interested.:4-dontknow:

#11 ·
Had the new BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A tires in the newly fallen snow this morning. I am suprised, they had more traction than I had expected and much better than the stock Wrangler HPs. I don't want to say this but maybe even better than the GY Duratracs that I put on the Jeep, but maybe it is just because the JK is so much lighter that the Ram... either way pretty happy with this new BFG!

#12 ·
So any more reports or news since these have been on a bit and in some bad weather? I'm interested but wanted to go a bit bigger. I think you could get a 295 or even 305 in there with the 2.5" leveling, and with the 17's I'd be it rides nicer than the lower profile 20" tires do. That bit of extra bounce helps out a bit I feel when actually hitting a trail. More pics, more pics! :D

#13 ·
Similar sitution

live2ride:

Your truck looks awesome! Those tires and rims really make it pop. I have very similar look to mine without the 4x4 decal on the bed.

I have been in a similar situation as many here with trying to decide what to do tire/rim-wise. I have the stock 20's and they don't look bad, but the tires themselves leave something to be desired already and they only have 16k on them. They slip a little too much for my liking on wet pavement and don't fill the well as much as I'd like.

I like a little more tire and a little less rim look-wise and want whatever I do to fill up the wheel well more to close the gap without rubbing. I've been debating with myself on getting a set of 275/65/20 Nitto Terras and being done with it or...

moving to a 17" wheel in this Mamba style:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g397/bane1240/2010 Ram 1500 stuff/MambaM5.jpg

Mamba's are readily available on eBay and other sites for about $600 for a set of 4.

The wheel specs are:
5x5.5 5x139.7 +20

My dilemma is what tire size do go with and will I be ok with a +20 offset?

It seems the decision is either to go with 295/70/17 - which I've seen on a couple sites and claims no rubbing and not to need a leveling kit.

or

305/70/17 - which I'm not sure would fit without one.

I'm not opposed to doing one (HBS 2" is very reasonable) but not 100% sure I want to. The max lift I'd want would be 2" and only if needed to get the 305 series tire to fit without rubbing.

Does anyone know for sure if either or these wheels will fit without rubbing and if not, what do I need to do for each size to make it fit?

Any help would be appreciated. :4-dontknow:

#15 ·
live2ride:

Your truck looks awesome! Those tires and rims really make it pop. I have very similar look to mine without the 4x4 decal on the bed.

I have been in a similar situation as many here with trying to decide what to do tire/rim-wise. I have the stock 20's and they don't look bad, but the tires themselves leave something to be desired already and they only have 16k on them. They slip a little too much for my liking on wet pavement and don't fill the well as much as I'd like.

I like a little more tire and a little less rim look-wise and want whatever I do to fill up the wheel well more to close the gap without rubbing. I've been debating with myself on getting a set of 275/65/20 Nitto Terras and being done with it or...

moving to a 17" wheel in this Mamba style:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g397/bane1240/2010 Ram 1500 stuff/MambaM5.jpg

Mamba's are readily available on eBay and other sites for about $600 for a set of 4.

The wheel specs are:
5x5.5 5x139.7 +20

My dilemma is what tire size do go with and will I be ok with a +20 offset?

It seems the decision is either to go with 295/70/17 - which I've seen on a couple sites and claims no rubbing and not to need a leveling kit.

or

305/70/17 - which I'm not sure would fit without one.

I'm not opposed to doing one (HBS 2" is very reasonable) but not 100% sure I want to. The max lift I'd want would be 2" and only if needed to get the 305 series tire to fit without rubbing.

Does anyone know for sure if either or these wheels will fit without rubbing and if not, what do I need to do for each size to make it fit?

Any help would be appreciated. :4-dontknow:
What is the width of the wheel?

#14 ·
That wheel/tire combo looks freakin' awesome on your truck!!! :smileup:

That is good to hear that you've got a smoother ride with the 17s!
Has your speedometer reading been affected any? Is 70mph still 70mph with the new setup?

#17 ·
Nwrqc:

I'll have to see if I can find that online for that wheel. After doing more research and seeing my exact truck with a 2" lift on it with stock rims and 295/65/20 Trail Grapplers, I may do something along those lines. Probably a 295/60/20 bcuz the Terra isn't available in the 65 series and I care more about noise levels and handling on road vs off.

Would I need the 2" lift with a 295/60/20? The more I look at vehicles with it, I like it. :4-dontknow:

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.