DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Automatic Shut-Off

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Otterdriver 
#1 ·
I am in the construction industry and had a meeting with a contractor who drove a Ram diesel. I do not know the year of the truck. He pulled up to the job site and got out while the truck was still running. I figured he would keep it running since the meeting was suppose to be short and it was cold. A couple of minutes later the truck turned off. Is this an aftermarket type item to have the truck turn off after it idles down? Thanks.

#2 ·
When I first got my diesel I was really worried about allowing the turbo time to cool down.
Got to reading the magazines and saw there was indeed a cool down timer that would allow you to turn off and remove the key. Said it could be set for predetermined times for what ever reason you could think of! Leaving the dog in the truck on a hot day! Never did see one but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Sounds like you have witnessed one!
If I have been flying down the interstate and I stop for fuel, I will let it idle while I'm filling up but otherwise I don't get too concerned.
Hope this was of some help.

#5 ·
I have pretty much the same truck as you do and do pretty much the same as you prior to shutting down. I have about a 20 mile drive to my workplace. I take the State Hwy and keep my speed under 60 MPH. The last mile of the trip is @ 25 MPH (less when driving by the local High School). I don't worry about it too much but still let it idle a bit before shutting down. Probably makes a lot more difference (and more likely to be required) if the motor's been workin' a heavy load and you're bringing the truck to a relatively abrupt stop and will be shutting down for an extended time.
RipVan

#6 ·
I don't know about Ram Diesels, but the general rule for shut down is 3 minutes or if you have a pyrometer, when it gets down to 3

California Regulations reads that you can't run the diesel at idle for more than 5 minutes
At Truck Stops, where the trucks park, there are signs that also read 5 minute maximum shut down period

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.