DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Post up your exhaust videos!

16K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  2005Laramie 
#1 ·
Everybody asks about the best setup! Well advertise yours here! Go snap a quick video using your digital camera, video camera, laptop cam, cellphone cam, whatever! I don't care if you have a HEMI, a 3.7 or a big ol' V10! I'm sure somebody out there is looking for exhaust on their vehicle. Also, post up videos of your truck if you have no mods! Maybe somebody is looking into upgrading from a 4.7 to a 5.7 or something, It doesn't matter!

Basically set it up like this

Vehicle
Engine:
Mods:
Video

I'll start.

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T
Engine: Magnum 5.9 V8
Modifications: Custom long-tube headers, Magnaflow muffler with 3 inch piping. Single/side exit, K&N Cold Air Intake, AirAid Throttle Body Spacer, Taylor Ignition cables, and a Jet Performance Chip.

Video Camera Quality : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFB3NNviHw
Digital Camera Quality : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i-uTiNitVQ

POST THEM UP!!!!!

See less See more
Reactions: RoughneckRam
#2 ·
My 2nd video seems to emphasize just how loud my idle is, it's no wonder why they call the SS/T the "Wake Your Neighbor's Ram"

#4 ·
Hahaha love the (Video) haha. I figured this would help solve re-posts of "best exhaust for HEMI" or you know, all engines alike. I hope people decide to actually post their videos lol

#5 ·
Oh man... I have about a dozen different setups on my Dakota. Here are the prominent ones.

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport
Engine: Magnum 5.2 V8
Modifications: No engine modifications. After the Cat, there is a y-pipe and 2 straight pipes.
Exhaust 1 rating: 7/10 - not as loud as you would think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpZUH5GSTs

Modifications: No engine modifications. After the Cat, the straight pipes were removed, so it dumped right after the cat.
Exhaust 2 rating: 7/10 - I liked it better than before, but resonance was loud due to dumped exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROQIAfKzBM

This video is with my bad TCM. You can hear the exhaust nonetheless

Modifications: Custom BFI for the Dakota. Doug Thorley 3" Catback installed.
Exhaust 3 rating: 6/10 - Par... it was put in so I at least had exhaust that exited NOT under the bad this time.

#6 · (Edited)
*Reserved*

Exhaust 4 rating: 7/10 - No video. This is the same Thorley 3" catback with a baffle installed to smooth out the exhaust flutter noise. Did its job well, quieted down the exhaust until you floored it and the BFI and Muffler sang a sweet WOT chorus.

Exhaust 5 rating: 8/10 - No video (yet!). This is the same Thorley catback muffler with no tailpipe. The exhaust dumps, which leads to the drone issue, but the growl is much better than the previous dumped exhaust. Maybe a turndown at this point, or reattach the tailpipe later....

I will make sure I throw some video up of the current setup.

Here is a video of our Magnum RT with the 5.7L v8. It has a few short exhaust clips near the end. It has SRT exhaust and the resonator delete kit with 4" Tips.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Magnum-RT-First_711426.htm

#7 ·
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Will add some rep, this will help all of the 5.2 owners SO MUCH! And also you HEMI guys, check out the video of the Magnum.

#12 ·
here's the video I told you I had :p

Sounds good at idle...but, the pipes are too small, and it blaps too much at higher RPMs...lol Its sounds okay though.
(and I didn't start it till like 6 or 7 seconds into the video...so your speakers are working fine :D )

98 Ram SS/T, 5.9L
2" true dual exhaust right off the exhaust manifolds, no cats, exiting via flowmaster 40s.
Engine is all stock otherwise.

[/URL

#13 ·
Haha FINALLY! That doesn't sound too bad. And where the hell is that road? Is that your driveway or something?! It looks like A. nobody is around, and B. you could mob on it Lol.

#14 ·
Haha...its not too bad...but, it will change. Its because the pipes are too small, causing it to pulsate, and make the blappy noise. 2.5" or 3" will really deepen the tone...though...you lose a little torque going to bigger pipe...but...I'll put an X-pipe on there as well to help it....but....the sound itself will be worth the loss of a little low end.

and...haha...thats our test track. :p

Here in FL, back in the 60s, back in the boom of Miami and all...a contracting company came through, and just built miles and miles of roads (neighborhoods). Though, the boom didn't spread to here. So...these miles of roads were just left there, with lots and all, street signs rusted and falling off. Kinda creepy, really...lol

Up until the 90s...nothing was built on these miles of streets. THen...the boom happened...and most of them have at least one house on them...

except on my side of the main road. We're the only house back here in about 20 miles total of streets.

So...that road I take all my pictures on is about 100 yards from our house, and is exactly 3/10 of a mile long, and straight as an arrow.

You can't run a 1/4 mile less you want to end up in the canal :p But, its one heck of an 1/8.

#15 ·
I wish that where I'm from was like that Lol. Lets see, you can make it up to 45, then youll rear end the car infront of you because of the traffic.

I reccomend 3 inch, not just because I have it, but because these are already torque monsters, upon losing some, youll gain top end.

#22 ·
haha...that sucks. Down here...we have a series of main state roads where everything is, and a bunch of housing developments. No real back roads or anything. And, all of our state roads are long, striaght, and flat...with a speed limit of 55, but, everyone does 70. Its like the freeway, with turnoffs and red lights...lol
But, our freeway speed down here is 70...and, doing 100 is nothing but keeping up with traffic.
Drivers are crazy down here...lol
We have one road...a state road, with nothing on it, and its nothing but a link between two other roads...and, it is straight as an arrow for 11 miles. At 5 in the morning....its like my own lil autobahn :D

yeah....I was thinking about it. Probably go with 3" true duals, with an X-pipe (makes torque), exiting via some Flowmaster 40s. :)

I love Flowmaster, though...so...don't judge :p

#16 ·
Nice vids, guys, got some good soundin' trucks! :)

- Cajun :pepper:

#21 ·
leadfootluke.

Ditch that autozone fan clutch and get a good one out of the junkyard or a new one from Dodge. Those autozone clutchs don't slip....making it loud as crap, and sucking the gas mileage.
Unless its just that loud because your right in the fan stream.

But...exhaust sounds good. Much better than my...blap blap blap...lol

#23 ·
God man, that sounds so nice to have open roads. I have to drive out a good 20 miles to find nice roads, but they are well worth it. The straight away is about a mile and a half, and then there are 2 paths you choose from which eventually come together only to take you back to the straight away. My dad and I used to take the corvette out there at blistering speeds Lol.

Hey man flowmaster is good, I had it on my old truck, it was god awful expensive though haha.

#25 · (Edited)
Stock everything 4.7L engine. I cut out the stock Y pipe and kept the two pipes separate until the muffler (magnaflow 12468). It is a dual in dual out muffler with an internal X.

Since the video was taken I added turn downs directly onto the muffler so the exhaust goes to the ground in front of the axle, can't have no CO! These quiet the resonance a lot, but it sounds sweet nonetheless! (plus it eliminates lots of drone) :smiley_thumbs_up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UlmXx9E2Q4

#27 ·
Turndowns!

I took this video with my digital camera, so it has less than desired audio quality.

You can see my turndowns and the axle, but some things you can't see are how patched together it is. I have a few pipe joints that are coming loose and need clamps or welds, and i don't have proper hangers for the muffler, so it hangs tilted.

Planning on fixing these issues over winter break from college.

You can hear me hitting the flipping rev limiter, and just how much louder the note resonates at lower rpms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9faVzUzqHU

#32 ·
Sounds good! I can honestly say I've never heard a stock SS/T Lol. It sounds good and decently loud. I just love waking the whole city though. Do you have any modifications you want to do? I know you've kept it basically stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.