DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cummins factory harmonic balancer verses fluid dampeners – Good idea ?

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  inc4203 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone might have some knowledge or experience with replacing the standard factory harmonic balancer with the new fluid dampeners. Is this $300 - $500 investment for a fluid dampener wise ? Will it truly extend the life of my engine and / or make it run better ?
Mine is a 2004 5.9L but this would seem to apply to most engines.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I can't speak from a diesel standpoint but I ran Fluidamper balancers on my race engines and they made the engines much smoother. As for a power increase, I can't say because only one was ran beforehand with a stock balancer and a cam swap was performed at the same time.

#3 ·
You can try to do a search on youtube. i seen a video on there of a before and after installation of Fluidampr. I cant remember if it was for a diesel application. But WOW, what a differance. Ive seen similiar blogs where many diesel guys say the engine is much smoother after Fluidampr install. Just make sure you get the real Fluidampr. They are made 100% in the USA. There are a lot of cheap knock-offs (chinese, india made), usually spelled fluidamper or fluid filled damper.

#4 ·
Thanks and you are so correct there are some knockoffs and cheep copies out there. I always try to buy USA made and I think I know the one you are talking about but I am still doing some research. Found one called Fluidampr #920301 at KLM Performance also seen the one from Bully Dog.
Thanks again for the information.

#6 ·
Did some searching and the few I found all turned out to be Fluidampr they even had the same part number so I plan on ordering one for KLM Preformance soon. $436 is not that bad of a price and I am wiling to risk $500. From what I have seen on-line I think there is little risk here it seems like a no-brainer if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time. I will update this thread when I make the change but if anyone else has some input please post it. Again thanks inc4203

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.