DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Calalytic Converter Woes

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  siclmn 
#1 ·
Well…the catalytic converter on my ’96 Ram’s gone bad at 75K. It’s rattling. Time to get a new one…and I know nothing about what I’m about to do.
I see that Magnaflows are popular on the forum. Can I go to a muffler shop and ‘assume’ they’ll put the right Magnaflow converter on…and does that make a difference…or are aftermarket converters universal? Is there any chance my check engine will flash after installation of the new converter? And lastly, does a new converter include new ‘ports for the o2 sensor? Thanks for any help!
vsanks

#3 ·
I ordered my Magnaflow Y pipe and converter kit from Summit Racing. It has bungs for both oxygen sensors. It was a fairly simple installation. Your check engine light will not come on because of the Magnaflow converter.

G
#4 ·
Your local shop can hook you up. And a good catalytic converter doesn't have to be a Magnaflow. Most shops carry Walker or TRW cats which will work just fine.

All cats come with what you need to keep from getting a code as they have provisions for O2 sensors.

#7 ·
ya are you sure it is done for most times you dont need to replace them till there just about pluged my buddy has 160,000 miles on his and he had the same noise and it was the heat sheild if you are not throughing any codes it might not be your cat at all have them check it out first before they do anywork or sell you something you might not need

#12 ·
OK. Just back from the muffler shop. The insides of the converter were in pieces. So...$218.25 (incl. tax) later, I've got a brand new Magnaflow converter. No more rattle...and no check engine light. I'm pleased. That rattle was getting on my last nerve. And thanks so much for all the help and responses! I really appreciate it.
vsanks

#15 ·
OK. Just back from the muffler shop. The insides of the converter were in pieces. So...$218.25 (incl. tax) later, I've got a brand new Magnaflow converter. No more rattle...and no check engine light. I'm pleased. That rattle was getting on my last nerve. And thanks so much for all the help and responses! I really appreciate it.
vsank
What country do you live in?
I was just quoted $500 from Midas for just the converter. They said it would be a lot of work and welding.

#14 ·
OTwoRam,
the rattle was worst at idle in 'drive'. Didn't hear very much at idle in 'park'. It would quit as I accelereted...and didn't hear it at all driving a steady speed (but my ears aren't what they used to be either). My '96 has sensors fore and aft, too. I just don't know about the codes. Mine didn't send any. Good luck with yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.