DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Forward Folding Rear Seats in 2011's

60K views 73 replies 39 participants last post by  hulasboy 
#1 ·
I read a thread not long ago where someone asked if you could fold the rear seats forward as well as up on the 2011 models. The answer was that in the 2009 - 10 models you could flip the hook that the seat latches on-to upside down. However, the 11 models don't allow you to change the hook. They are welded into place.

This weekend I installed two amps and LOC on the back wall of my 2011 1500, and installed a Fox Acoutics sub box for 10". The sub box came with a set of 1/2" spacers to lift the rear seats up. After doing this, I am able to fold my rear seats forward giving me easy access to the back.

I thought I would pass that on for others who might be curious.

#2 ·
The sub box came with a set of 1/2" spacers to lift the rear seats up. After doing this, I am able to fold my rear seats forward giving me easy access to the back.
So my understanding from this is that you placed 1/2" spacers between the seat frame and the floor board on each bolt. By doing this allows you to fold the rear seats down.
Question:
How does the seat fold down, is there a lever to activate this or do you just pull them down? If you just pull them down, I would think this would NOT be safe for rear passengers if a wreck happens?:4-dontknow:

If there is a lever, then I am game for this little mod!:Wow1::smileup:

Any pictures...even pictures of your radio speaker mod!

#3 ·
You are correct. Remove the 18mm bolts holding the rear seats down, and place the spacers inbetween the floor board the rear seat brackets. The bolts are long enough to screw back down and tightly.

When you lift the bottom seats up, it lifts the back seat up as well. At the very top of this motion you simply pull a little on the back seat and it will come forward. You repeat the process to re-hook it back on. Push the rear back, lift on the bottom seats to pull up and at the top, and push the back seat into place and lower the bottom seats. The back will fall in to place. It's great and easy.

I haven't taken pictures of it, but can tomorrow if you still want to see.

#5 ·
Awesome

This is great! I will being doing this mod next weekend. This was a great find for you and now me.:smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

One other question, the spacers were they made with rubber bushings or 1/2" solid steel washer?

#10 ·
That's very useful information, and the ability to fold the seat is great!
I question whether it's legal though. Does anybody know if it would be illegal to do this modification?
I'd hate to see the seat be able to flip forward in a crash, especially when there is a passenger sitting in the seat! Insurance companies would have a hay-day with this one.

I'd like to do the mod...if it's safe and legal to do so.

#12 ·
LOC == Line Output Converter??

I'm interested in this as well. I plowed with my '98, and intend on doing that (with a lighter-duty plow) on my '11. One of the things I DON'T like about the new one is those big honkin' headrests back there. Rear visibility is WAY worse on the '11 just because of those things.

It would be awesome to be able to just fold the seats down when you want to do something that requires lots of Fwd and Bk maneuvering.

I'm also interested, though, in the legality and safety aspect. Is there any way you can tell how positive the hook is? When anyone IS sitting back there, it's MY KIDS after all! Wouldn't want to jeapardize them just to see a little better.

#13 · (Edited)
LOC is for Line Out Converter. I'm using an Audio Control LC8i device to sum all the channels and send them to the new amps. Knowing what I know now, I would do it over again. I would get the Pac Audio LOC and run the RCA cables back to a Audio Control cross-over. Then plug the amps into it. The LC8i is functioning as described, but way more complicated than what I was looking for.

If you noticed in the picture, I have a car seat back there for my 3 year old. There is no way I would do this if it was dangerous to him.

When the seat is back down in it's normal state, the hooks on the back of the seat fasion over the latches attached to the back wall. It's only when the seat is in the fold position (picture number 1) where the hook is over the latch which then and only then can the seat come forward.

The spacers are nothing more than MDF wood. I do have a correction and that is it looks like it's 1 inch thick and not 1/2 inch thick like I mentioned earlier.

#16 ·
From what I am gathering through reading this. Couldn't someone just shorten the hooks by an inch, rather than raising the seats an inch. I completely understand why the OP raised the seat, but those of us just wanting folding seats don't need them raised, as that will increase seat height, decrease headroom, decrease rear window visibility. Couldn't you just shorten the latches?

#17 ·
The latchs on the back wall is welded in place, so you can't just remove them and fasten them lower. You could cut down the hooks on the back seat, but I personally wouldn't do that.

The only reason I raised the back seat was for the new sub box to fit under it.

#20 ·
Cutting the latch down is more likely safer than raising the seat.

If I fully understand what is happening here (I haven't taken my truck apart) there is a finger on the back of the seat about 2" long that hooks over a rod on the back wall of the truck. When you lift up the seat bottom the back also lifts about 1", normally you are moving to the middle of the 2" long bracket. Now when space the seat up an inch, then you lift the seat bottom, which raises the back, you now can just clear the finger.
The weakness comes from adding an inch of leverage on the finger, which normally is going to have no leverage. So you would be running a greater risk of straightening out or breaking the back that in the OEM configuration. Where is stock position, but cut down the leverage would not change.
The reality is, if the passengers are wearing their seat belts, they are attach the cab, not the seat. So a properly restrained occupant is at no greater risk than originally.

#46 · (Edited)
Cutting the latch down is more likely safer than raising the seat.

If I fully understand what is happening here (I haven't taken my truck apart) there is a finger on the back of the seat about 2" long that hooks over a rod on the back wall of the truck. When you lift up the seat bottom the back also lifts about 1", normally you are moving to the middle of the 2" long bracket. Now when space the seat up an inch, then you lift the seat bottom, which raises the back, you now can just clear the finger.
The weakness comes from adding an inch of leverage on the finger, which normally is going to have no leverage. So you would be running a greater risk of straightening out or breaking the back that in the OEM configuration. Where is stock position, but cut down the leverage would not change.
The reality is, if the passengers are wearing their seat belts, they are attach the cab, not the seat. So a properly restrained occupant is at no greater risk than originally.
Moose hit the nail on the head. The seat mounting has nothing to do with the the seatbelt mounting which is what will be holding any passengers or baby seats in the vehicle. The belts mount to the body not the seats. One look at the whole configuration will explain everything.
I did this mod a year ago and couldn't be happier with the result, access and increased storage that Dodge could and should have given us for free. Way to go Dodge.:LOL:

And for what it's worth Blackpearldodge, if your daughter is buckled in where on Earth is she going to go? The seatbelt will hold both her and the seat back firmly in place. It's simple common sense. The seat belt doesn't care if the 5-10 lb seat back is even slightly connected to the cab of the truck because the seatbelt IS. Look at the design.

#23 ·
There isn't really a legal issue here as you are not really messing with any safety feature. I don't think a cop would be able to write a citation for installing washers under your seats....

Also you are not secured to the seats. You are secured to the seat belts, which are not being altered in this case. If you were involved in a collision the seatbelts would lock down before the seatback would be able to move much.

#24 ·
I totally agree with you on being attached to the seatbelt, not the seat. Still...I could see an insurance adjustor/lawyer having fun with this one.

Okay...here's another side to look at:
Suppose you have a passenger riding in the back and you get involved in an accident. Your buddy (assuming) could potentially sue you for your mod to the seat (assuming he is injured). The latch pin was designed to go into the latch (locking plate) a certain distance (I'm assuming...) so any modification to that would/could poise a safety issue. I realize the chances of the seat back coming forward is probably next to nil.

This mod is probably okay. It's the probable chance that it isn't that worries me. I have a small child that sits in the back seat and I'd never forgive myself if something happened as a result of neglect on my part (the spacer in the seat.)

If it were just me (and/or my wife) I probably wouldn't care. I guess I tend to error on the side of caution in my old age.

#25 ·
After reading the thread, I have a question. Wouldn't the manufacturer of the spacers/audio company have looked into the safety and legality of this in fear of said companies being sued if an accident with injury were to happen? I honestly don't know to what level they would research this, but just a thought. Or is this purchased with some sort of disclaimer? Thanks!

#26 ·
Again, the "what if" situation could be played out for just about any modification, such as a lift, oversized tires or wheels, big brake kit, etc. In fact, I would be more worried about those than a seat back coming forward during an impact. I think in the case of where the seat back might come forward from an impact, it would probably be the least of your problems.

#27 ·
Hmmm....I have to say I don't agree with you.
Mods like lifts, oversized tires, or brake kits are items that CAN be done as a mod (because you are installing parts to REPLACE existing parts, not add to them). It would be a different story if you tried modifying a brake outside its designated design (as is the case with raising the back seat so the locking pin/latch sits higher.)

#28 ·
You are lifting the seat, but it still latches. You lift a truck, but it still drives. Both alter how they will react during a crash or loss of control. A dirty lawyer could find a way to prove that by lifting a vehicle, it caused it to be more top heavy and thus more prone to flip over during loss of control. I can't come up with a good reason for a seat back to cause injury...

#29 ·
I can't come up with a good reason for a seat back to cause injury...
Look at it from this point of view: Suppose you get into an accident and your truck flips or rolls. The force of the twisting COULD cause the seat back to dislodge from its locking pin (due to the latch having less catch). In turn this could cause extra stress/twisting on the passenger in that seat. You can beat your last dollar the insurance company will scrutinize that seat to see why it became dislodged and when they, expect the *hit to hit the fan. IMHO it's one thing to put bigger tires on your truck...it's another to "play" with the original design of any part when it goes outside its original functionality.

#34 ·
Are you saying that because people have been lifting trucks and putting on bigger tires for a long time that it is okay?

If your concern is a mod that COULD cause your daughter injury or death, then you should avoid from doing ANY mod as any dirty lawyer COULD make a case that it was a contributing factor. That being anything from aftermarket tail lights or headlights, lift kit, wheels/tires, window tint, brakes, engine, etc.

My and I think CHVYKLR's point is that this mod is probably least likely to be litigated as a contributing cause to an injury or death in the case of a collision. Not to mention the fact that after impact the vehicle would be pretty damaged to notice the modification and even less noticeable to someone who is not familiar with the exact layout of the vehicle's interior. Also, in some states (as was here until recently) the fact that a passenger was not wearing a seat belt was inadmissible in lawsuits. Basically it's about who caused the accident and not about how much more damage was done because of a modification.

As for it being illegal, and IANAL, but unless you can find some wording in your laws that specifically states altering the seats is illegal, then it is not. In order for something to be illegal it must be stated in a law. You don't have to have wording that says it IS legal.

#35 ·
No. I am not saying that!
Today, everybody sues everybody. So I just want to make a clear and informed decision whether I would consider performing this mod.

Not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone. I, like most others here, like the option of mods.
I have never checked my local laws to see if certain, if any, mods to a vehicle are illegal.

#36 ·
...It's a shame that someone puts 1" spacers under their seats and it turns into a 4 page legal debate...

In my old truck I removed the bench seat and put in two bucket seats with a subwoofer box in between. I bolted the sub box to the cab to secure it, and regularly had 3 people in the cab (one buckled in on top of the wooden sub box with no back rest). I got pulled over, the cop saw it, he asked if she was buckled up, I said yes, he asked if I though it was safe, I said yes, it is secured to the cab, he said ok...

Even if you completely unbolted the backrest of the seat and just laid it into position, as long as you're buckled up, you're safe....but i digress...maybe you're the guy who spilled mcdonalds coffee and sued so now all the cups say "caution, contents may be hot OR cold" .....not trying to be a jerk just making a point!

#37 ·
...It's a shame that someone puts 1" spacers under their seats and it turns into a 4 page legal debate...
To a point I agree with you. This forum is a place to make suggestions as well as ask for input. Good or bad. Right or wrong. What you do with the information is up to you. If we all agreed, all the time, this forum would be dull and boring.

And I believe it was a woman that spilled coffee in her lap at McDonald's...not a man.

#41 ·
Why? Nobody is upset here. It's hard to understand user's tones in text. A debate about something is nothing more than a debate. When name calling is introduced then it becomes dirty.

Don't let someone questioning your findings deter you from posting future findings. That's what makes the internet forums great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.