DODGE RAM FORUM banner

180 deg thermostat okay for winter?

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 ·
I've read a billion threads on 180 deg stats but I still have a question for everyone. I live in northern NC and the average cold temps in winter is probably 15-30 degrees with the really cold nights dipping down a little lower. Is there any reason I would have any problems if I switch to a 180? I'm not willing to switch the thermostat every winter, lol.

Thanks.

G
#3 ·
Won't be a problem. Just make sure you let the truck idle and warm up in the morning before you head down the road. If you don't, you might get a CEL that advises you that your coolant temp is below acceptable limits, especially on short trips.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply but I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I'm a still a little confused. I think I read somewhere that the engine has to reach 165 degrees...I'm guessing within a certain amount of time....or it will set off the CEL?? I may be totally wrong but I could swear I read that somewhere. If that is correct I don't see how the 180 deg stat could ever possibly set a code. The engine would always be much warmer (15 degrees) than the error limit before the 180 deg stat would be any different than the stock 195. The 180 should warm up to 180 just as fast as the 195 shouldn't it?

A potential problem that I was afraid of was once you get going down the road in 20 degree weather. The 180 shouldn't keep the engine from reaching at least 180 because once again it's no different up to 180 that the 195 right? But what is the chance that once it hits 180 and the stat opens to cool the engine that the cooling system (aided by the cold weather) would actually bring the engine temp back down below 165 and set the CEL?

G
#7 ·
The same thing could happen with the 195 T-Stat given very cold ambient conditions.

Yes, you want your engine to reach at least 165...thereby the suggestion to let it warm up before you hit the road in colder ambient temps.

The upside of the 180 is that the engine runs cooler in hotter ambient temps. In colder weather, it will close sooner as well.

Thje 180 will actually open earlier than the 195 because it takes less time to get to 180 than it does to get to 195.

Most folks I know who have gotten that particular CEL have 170 degree units in.

#5 ·
I don't believe it would throw a code...you shouldn't have any issues, from what I read no one else has had any issues. The only way to really know is to do it an monitor your gas mileage, if it is affecting it you'll notice a drop by a few mpg.

#6 ·
i wouldnt think it would throw a code either or there would be threads on it lol but there are a few ppl on here that have this with no problem that iv herd of so you should be fine

#8 ·
Yeah I guess theoretically your engine could drop below 165 while driving in cold enough weather even with a 195 deg stat....but my thinking is that with a 195 your engine is going to be 195 before the stat opens to let the coolant flow. So the coolant and cold weather are going to have to bring the engine temp down 30 degrees to create an issue. With the 180 it isn't going to get above 180 if things are working properly so it will only have to cool it 15 degrees to set the code. I'm not saying that it would happen with either stat....just that it seems more likely with the 180.

Also, I don't see how waiting for your engine to warm up before heading down the road is going to help. The engine temp is going to behave exactly the same up to 180 deg no matter which stat you have right? And letting it sit and warm up isn't going to help with a 180 deg stat because even if you let it run until it hits 180 the stat will open and the temp is going to level off. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I've also been doing a lot of reading about programmers and 180 deg stats. A lot of people say that a 180 will cause your engine to run richer. If so, would it be enough to create a noticeable difference in mpg?

#9 ·
I am guessing here
i think the only difference would be how hot your heater system gets
it will only warm the heater hoses & core up to 180, so on real cold days, you may shiver a bit longer
household water heaters are usually set at 125° F (51.66° C). holding your hand under the faucet for around 2 minutes, can burn your hand

#10 ·
The only reason it would run rich is if it were not reaching proper operating temperature (which according to others posts seems to be 165). If this happens it also would not be constant, you would lose a couple mpg at most. I doubt this would happen. If it stays above that minimum temperature, it will not run rich or lose mpg, it would help it if anything due to the engine being slightly more efficient (outputting more work, and less heat)

#12 ·
The only reason it would run rich is if it were not reaching proper operating temperature (which according to others posts seems to be 165). If this happens it also would not be constant, you would lose a couple mpg at most. I doubt this would happen. If it stays above that minimum temperature, it will not run rich or lose mpg, it would help it if anything due to the engine being slightly more efficient (outputting more work, and less heat)
I was wondering why some people were saying it would run richer with a 180. I read it several different places but there was no real explanation. I could see it running rich until it reaches operating temp but after that I agree with you....I don't see why it possibly would.

BlackRamHemi....-31 huh? Yeah, if you can run a 180 in that with no problems then I think I'll be fine, lol. Thanks!

#11 · (Edited)
I run a Jet 180º Stat all year round and it doesn't get much colder than a Canadian Winter in Northern Alberta. (-35ºC/-31ºF)
I kept my stock stat handy in case I needed to swap it back in, but the 180º worked perfectly fine through the entire Winter with minimal warm up and no cells/codes.

I've never had heat issues, but then again I Have a Hemi, and have a smaller Reg Cab to warm up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.